WINEQ Compared to EQW, One thing you should know.

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

WINEQ Compared to EQW, One thing you should know.

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:43 pm

On WINEQ Pro you require a service fee to play EQ in window mode on dual screens.

On EQW you can simply drag the window over to the other screen, and it works just fine. I am doing it right now.

So until this feature can be made free. I probably wont use anymore time with WINEQ.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:26 pm

Uh.. no. You can use dual monitor support with WinEQ lite the same way you do with EQWindows. WinEQ Pro makes it easier.

The problem is this.. DirectX requires that you create the Direct3D window for a specific display. If you drag it onto the other one, it gets 1 frame per second. You can use nView desktop spanning, but then you lose framerate when compared to using Windows XP's built in dual monitor support and selecting a display, which you can do through the options editor.

Please dont waste my time with posts like this, and I won't waste yours.

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:01 pm

oh hey. u must be using a TNT 2 card or something..

I dont loose any framerates at all when i do this. runs full frames.

But i stand corrected. I guess you can do this with WinEQ. I've just had problems with it.

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:03 pm

Friend of mine had 8 eqs running. I have a SS of it. But it has char names and stuff. so i will have to clean it before i can post it =)

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:08 pm

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:09 pm

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:10 pm

But from what he says u can do this through WinEQ. so i will shutup

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:22 pm

My testing is currently done with GeForce 4 ti 4200, GeForce FX 5700, and Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm just explaining how DirectX works, but I'm not going to argue with anecdotal evidence saying that it works one way for you that it is not designed to.

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:48 pm

anecdotal perhaps. But still. Why would i pay for a feature which should be otherwise free.

I get less frames, instead of 60ish. I get 25 - 38.

DirectX may do what you have said. But I am positive a more powerful PC can handle it better.

For instance an Athlox 64 3200, with 1.5gb 400mhz ram, and a high end GeForce or ATI card can run it better than a Athlon XP 2500, with 768mb 266mhz ram, and a high end card.

The fact is. Is your info maybe correct about DirectX running multiple Direct3D windows. Im telling ya the truth. Atleast post it on your site that it is possible to run multiple windows on 2 monitors w/o paying for the program, and tell them that the performance is based on the PC.

When i tried to drag one of WinEQ's EQ windows. it would snap back, or drag both windows. Its just more of a hastle if ya ask me. As well as the WinEQ program running which to me seems like it takes more system resources.

Im not trying to cause trouble with your program, just trying to open up the options.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:15 pm

I dont think I need to advertise features of EverQuest that are built into their game. You dont need to pay for the feature, you already have it. It drags "both windows" because that's how WinEQ profiles work, and WinEQ doesn't snap your window back. If you want performance, you need to use Windows XP's built in multiple monitor support, and tell EQ which monitor you want to use. WinEQ will automatically place the window on the correct display for you , which is what I assume you're talking about. This is a feature, not a bug. Many people will try to move the window over and get extremely low framerate, without realizing that they need to tell EQ they want it to run on the secondary display. Including you... Yes, you can set the correct display through EQ's options editor, but they break this with half of the patches. Subscribers are immune because they can use WinEQ's dual monitor support. If you dont want to subscribe, that's fine, but you are limited to EQ's support and if you leave EQ's setting to the primary display, WinEQ automatically puts the window on the correct monitor.

I apologize for the confusion and whatever inconvenience this is for you, but it is for the better for most WinEQ users. It's impossible to please everyone... for example, in older WinEQ the window was placed just high enough that the task bar actually covered up the bottom portion of the window. Many people complained, so I had WinEQ move the window slightly downward by default, and the task bar was covered up by the window. Now, complaints trickle in "WinEQ covers up the task bar, I liked it not covering up the task bar. please fix this!". Same thing here. Previously, people would drag the window to the wrong display and get low framerate. Now, it places the window on the correct display and I get one report saying "WinEQ moves the window to the correct display, please fix this!". So I inconvenience a smaller portion of the crowd, and I apologize that for you this is a problem.

Once again this problem can be solved for you if a) EQ's dual monitor support is not broken at the given time (reports say that it is currently broken), and b) you are taking advantage of its dual monitor support. And use different profiles for each window if you don't want them to all be in the same location.

ultimateq
Non-Subscriber

Post by ultimateq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:48 pm

kewl i didnt know u can switch the display in eq. i thought it automatically put it in primary and couldnt change it. I will look into it. I havent had a problem with simply draging the window over. it runs good

I dont mean to cause any type of trouble. You have a good program. Still slightly tricky to operate compared to other programs. But its a good idea.

it does take slightly more memory than EQW. But only a little bit. I guess for the WinEQ pro features this is ok. as far as the WinEQ lite features. I only 2 windows, and alt tab. I dont really use anymore than that.

I have something to try now with the display devices. Thanks for the info