Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Venthos
GamingTools Subscriber

Re: EverQuest + NVIDIA Video Card + Multiboxing Issue

Post by Venthos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:32 am

This was the case for me.

GeForce 4 Ti4600

Routinely I 3box off one machine.

I got fed up with it and tried something which appears to work for me. I've yet to bluescreen since. However this option may not be completely viable for some.

I merely copied EverQuest.exe to an empty directory (C:\EverQuest-New) and well, ran it. Let that bitch download all of EQ for a nice fresh unscathed copy of EQ. I didn't copy anything over, new eqclient.ini just reset all my settings to my liking.

Then I downloaded a Driver Cleaner for video drivers. Did as that said, uninstalled current drivers (Were the latest), booted to safe mode, ran the video driver cleaner, rebooted, installed fresh drivers.

Things are obviously running smoother and I've yet to crash let alone blue screen since. Prior to this I was bluescreening within 5 minutes of multiboxing.

So it may be some fucked up eqclient.ini settings or sketchy leftover video driver things. I used to need to have "HardwareTnL=FALSE" in my eqclient.ini prior or i'd get crashes from all the terrain not loading. Now I don't need that special setting or anything. Things are running fine.

So, not sure how much that helps. But if it's possible i'd recommend the above for those folks having the same issue.

The issue being the Blue Screen regarding "nv4_disp.dll".

Hope this helps somewhat in finding the root of the problem. Maybe something simple as a fresh eqclient.ini to make sure you don't have any F'd up settings?

-Venthos

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:40 am

Interesting, keep us posted if you end up blue screening etc. Certainly something folks can try. In order to find out which exactly is solving your issue, it might help to try only one of the things at a time for anyone that wants to try it (video drivers first, check it, then copy, check it, etc).

jaq
Non-Subscriber

Post by jaq » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:12 am

Then I downloaded a Driver Cleaner for video drivers. Did as that said, uninstalled current drivers (Were the latest), booted to safe mode, ran the video driver cleaner, rebooted, installed fresh drivers.
Can you tell us what you use to clean them, or post a link.

Venthos
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Venthos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:25 am

Driver Cleaner 3

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

That is what I used.

Just be sure to do as it says and READ the readme.txt for their instructions on what to do to ensure everything gets completely cleaned out.

-Venthos

TrippyTom
Non-Subscriber

Post by TrippyTom » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:26 am

wow, that sounds like a lot of work!

What fixed it for me was using the beta drivers someone else recommended from www.guru3d.com

Some people may be hesitant to try out those unofficial drivers, but I tried them and they work great for me. I also disabled sound on my 2nd session. I dunno if that has anything to do with the crashing, but I did it just in case.
Stars, hide your fires! Let not light see my black and deep desires...

agrams
Non-Subscriber

Post by agrams » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:55 pm

what drivers did you upgrade to? i have comp reboot wheni run two instances since OoW.. i run a asylum geforce 5200 256ram

TrippyTom
Non-Subscriber

Post by TrippyTom » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:26 pm

Forceware 66.32 Win2000/Xp is what I chose.
Stars, hide your fires! Let not light see my black and deep desires...

RonWeesley
Non-Subscriber

Post by RonWeesley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:47 am

Woot! I have been 2 boxing for a year now...(thank you WinEQ) was going fine until the release of OOW. Started with one of the 2 running in "slowmotion" sporatically...(sometimes one, sometimes the other, two different directories with same settings except one sans sound). Then started getting "blue screen o death". I am currently downloading "ForceWare 66.32 Win2000/XP" and will post with results....

RonWeesley
Non-Subscriber

Post by RonWeesley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:04 am

Doh! that did not help at all. gonna try and roll back the driver now, but not optimistic.

RonWeesley
Non-Subscriber

Post by RonWeesley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:15 am

Nope, that didnt help either. gonna try the "cleaner" thing next.....

RonWeesley
Non-Subscriber

Post by RonWeesley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:22 am

WTF:
When you uninstalled the 45.** or higher before without problems than select the nvidia cleaning file.
If you uninstalled them before and got problems than select the nVidia cleaning file and in the options window by Cleaning Options, uncheck Registry.
Is this English?

RonWeesley
Non-Subscriber

Post by RonWeesley » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:43 am

Well, tried renameing eqw.ini, eqlsuiconfig.ini. & eqhardware.ini, to no avail. can load one session, load 2nd session to char select, but after that, "blue screen o death".
Thanks WinEQ, you were da bomb while it lasted.
Glad I didnt "pay" for it....

Peace out.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:56 am

Keep in mind that it's an EQ issue and only with NVIDIA cards, not a WinEQ or even EQWindows issue. I'm sure they will have the problem solved very soon since NVIDIA is extremely popular. You can even report the problem to NVIDIA and they may put a note about it in their next driver release if not fix the problem for SOE.

jaq
Non-Subscriber

Post by jaq » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:35 am

Hey guys, just wanted to post my findings here.

The good news is, it definitly seems to be a driver issue.
I was getting consitint blue screens since OOW came out.
After upgrading to the ForceWare 66.32 Win2000/XP, I played for 8 hours last night with no issues, no crashes.

Let me make a few comments though about these drivers. The drivers themselves are beta, and by default will only load if you have 1 of the following video cards.

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0140.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT"
NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0141.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 6600"
NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0145.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 6610 XL"
NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_014E.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 540"

If you do not have one of these cards, and merely ran the setup.exe to install them, it will go through the normal set up process and appear to work with no warnings are errors, but you in fact do not get the new driver installed. Guru3d does include a modified INF file that is in a folder called modded_inf. If you copy the INF file in there to the same directory setup.exe is in, it will install on a larger number of cards.

However, it still would not take on my 4600 TI, and I had to do a have disk install, and just pick an mx400 to get the files to come in.

jaq
Non-Subscriber

Post by jaq » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:22 am

ALERT:
Not sure why it took 2 days to manefest itself, but I did blue screen tonight.

Only thing was different was I had the toons in the same zone. Before my testing was durring raids, with other toon running around POK and POT.

Sorry for mis-info