Virtual memory/Page file questions.

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

delfi
GamingTools Subscriber

Virtual memory/Page file questions.

Post by delfi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:23 pm

Been reading everywhere about tweaking settings for wineq, thought I would come to the source since everyone seems to have different opinions. I have a p4 2.4ghz 512Ram 128video (agp video bios setting at 128mb), running cable.

Atm I am trying to get my system to run 2-3 charecters and later have it run 3-4 with ram upgrade. Are there any basic changes I can make to make 2-3 possible on 512ram?

I am going to system, performance settings, adavnced tab then change button under virtual memory. It lists:

Drive C:
72989mb space available

Then there are 3 options:
1. Custom with Intial size(mb) and max size(mb)
2. System managed size
3. No page filing (This is filed in atm)

Then a set button.

Under that says "Total page file size for all drives"
Max allowed: 2mb
Recommended: 765mb
Currently allocated:0mb

I am wondering what the settings for this should be for my setup at 512mb ddr266.
Also I am gonna throw in 1gig stick in next few months, to up it to 1.5gigs. What settings should be set with that setup.

Thanks for the help.
Delfi

Krehldar
GamingTools Subscriber

Usuallly default......

Post by Krehldar » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:59 pm

I assume you are using windows xp? With plenty of hard drive space I would be apt to leave it at default, the only setting I may change if I were you would be the minimum and I'd set the minum virtual to 512mb and the top to at least 2048 or let the max be set by windows just my quick reply

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:34 pm

You could run 2-3 with 512MB of memory, BUT performance will be horrible no matter what your virtual memory settings are. Each EQ uses about 300MB even with the lowest settings, so with more than 1 EQ session it's going to be putting stuff on disk that's meant to be kept in memory. Whether your virtual memory setting is large, small, fixed, variable, etc. wont make a lick of difference really. The fact that storing to disk is several times slower than storing to RAM is what's going to get you overall.

My recommendation in the long run is to increase memory, but as far as helping your performance without hardware upgrades (noting that you're adding memory in a month or two) I would say set min and max pagefile size to 1024mb each. Generally people will tell you that a fixed size is best because it doesn't have to resize. Not a big help, but it will help at times.