Best way to run 2 accts on same computer??

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

eqdru
Non-Subscriber

Best way to run 2 accts on same computer??

Post by eqdru » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:31 pm

Whats the best way to run 2 accts on same computer?? so the game would run smoothly? turn off game models, turn off some options that are not needed or what not ?? any help that would be apreciated thnx.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:44 am

Low textures, no models, no social animations, no dynamic lighting, no sound... you just need to get the total RAM usage down so you wont be swapping anything into virtual memory after eating up your 512MB system RAM, which it takes 300MB to run EQ with even the lowest settings after you've wandered around a bit in the game. You'll probably also need to shut down most other programs running in the background (web browser, instant messengers, etc)

Aznar
Non-Subscriber

Post by Aznar » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:42 pm

Some tips:

If you have 1 gigabite of ram + Two acounts should run fine without many issues. The kicker is for the majority of us who are probably only running 512 ram or so. In terms of EQ you should do everything Lax said. Cut down Lucline models and turn all graphics options as low as they'll go.

You should make a permanent page file. Which is much easer than it sounds. By default windows has a varible page file size. But if you setup its size so that its always the same the page file will permantly set its self up in a portion of your hard drive. To do this:

Right click on Mycomputer, Click on Properties. Click on the Advanced Tap. CLick on performance options. Click on the Advanced Tab. Finally click On the CHANGE button in the virtual memory box at the bottom of the window.

At this point you have your virtual memory windo open. It should list a range for your page file (probably 356-766 give or take) And probably has "System managed size" Flaged. What you want to do is Check "Custom size" Then put in Initial size (between 766 and 1536) and in Maximum size (SAME NUMBER as Initial size)

Now the size you choose is up to you and numbers around 700 are the most normal users will ever need. I prefer a much larger swap just incase something weird happens. By setting up a pagefile like this, when you are out of memory and have to use virtual memory it will flow much more smoothly than windows trying to manage the file and orient it on the hard drive, because the space is already set away and established.

eqdru
Non-Subscriber

Post by eqdru » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:59 pm

so 700 is cool?? or whats yers at?

Aznar
Non-Subscriber

Post by Aznar » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:42 pm

700 is cool, mine is set at 1536. I've never used over 600 megs of the file though. I also try to set it at ram intervals, but since the size is non hardware constrained that doesn't realy matter.

Kobe008
Non-Subscriber

Post by Kobe008 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:16 am

and if he ever reaches his max pagefile size his machine will crash. Never set a max size. A minimum is fine but never set a max size.

Aznar
Non-Subscriber

Post by Aznar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:10 pm

Actually your machine won't crash. It will shut down any of the programs that are utilizing too much ram. I ran out a long time ago when I was running Jedi Outcast trying different texture settings... apparently it stored the low.. medium... high... and very high textures for each. System flys a message (your virtual memory is low).... 10 secs later (You have run out of virtual memory Jedioutcast.exe is being terminated) System crash no... but suckyness. Yes. That was with before I hardwired a much larger amount into my virtual memory :wink:

daymyan
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by daymyan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:01 am

mine is set at 1536 3072 is that bad?

csivils
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by csivils » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:33 pm

With 1 gig of memory on my laptop, I can run 3 accounts as well as a companion utility.

One hint that I have not seen posted much is that running the game in 640x480 mode helps with both cpu cycles and memory usage. The biggest drawback is you pretty much have to make your own UI since there are very few available that work at such a low resolution.

Craig

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:32 am

Most of the screenshots on the WinEQ page are using Enoks UI from the Minimalist section at eqinterface.com, in 640x480

Sicnus
Non-Subscriber

Post by Sicnus » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:20 am

1gb , can run 3 accounts with all things turned down like Lax said, except i'm at 1280x1024. Also i've noticed a slight improvement with turning off virtual memory (i currently only use 1 window due to crashing on 2nd and my graphics card inability to evolve with EQs new engine :-/ hehe).