WinEQ Lite 1.16 - Second Session Issue

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

eqdru
Non-Subscriber

Post by eqdru » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:38 pm

my current graphics settings is at FULL should i turn it down a bit?? and just keep the option to the memory to "let computer do it on its own"?? this is just a question outta the blue whats yers at when u play EQ

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:40 am

Please read the info at the top of the FAQ page about EQ's memory usage, I'm about to echo it here. With FULL graphics settings in EQ, EQ uses up to 600MB of RAM *per session* and I cant imagine how you are able to run multiple sessions with or without WinEQ or EQWindows with full settings. To run 3 sessions with FULL settings you need 3x600MB of memory, or at least 1.8GB, in order to expect it to not swap into virtual memory. Not using virtual memory is *important*. The video card cannot use virtual memory to store textures, and if you're cutting into virtual memory, this is why DirectX says it has no memory... because it doesnt. Virtual memory is stored on your hard drive, which is something like 10x slower than RAM, and you get massive lag.

So for virtual memory, set it at whatever you want. Mine is set to like 1.5GB manually with 1GB of physical system RAM. It really doesnt matter if it's set to let windows take care of it or if it's set to a specific amount manually, because if you're using any virtual memory you're seriously degrading gaming performance either way. You don't want things that are supposed to be in physical memory to be stored on the hard drive, ever.

With graphics set at FULL, my previous statements seem to be exactly right, except that I had assumed that you already had lower settings. You may simply have squeezed around the memory requirements before by being in low requirements zones or logging them all into character select first as I recommended in another thread.

eqdru
Non-Subscriber

Post by eqdru » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:27 am

OK... I should lower the graphics?? to what level would you recommend?? middle?? low?? what would be best for EQ and my computer?

fthis
Non-Subscriber

Post by fthis » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:05 pm

Lax wrote:I cant imagine how you are able to run multiple sessions with or without WinEQ or EQWindows with full settings.
Prior to version 1.16 I was running two Sessions of EQ just fine with almost all of the settings set to full. The only thing I had turned down was bard songs and spell effects to group only. I guess the only other setting was the seccond account has always had a nosound.txt file

To restate, prior to 1.16 I had every model turned on for both accounts, I had Spell effects to Max (but group only) and Max view distance on both acoounts.

Tyrhael
Non-Subscriber

Post by Tyrhael » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:03 am

i have same issues with 1,16

to run multiple instances i have to end task winEQ and restart it each time i used it to start a session. so i start it, start an instance then end task winEQ, restart it, restart a 2nd instance end task winEQ and restart it... etc ...

after u start an instance winEQ appears to be bugged (no answer) in end task window.