Should I get a better Grafix card ?

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Olivianna
Non-Subscriber

Should I get a better Grafix card ?

Post by Olivianna » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:23 am

Currently running 65 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 .. on a 2 Gig 512 MB Dell... wanting to run 3 in tiled mode and seems to be hard/laggy. Just wanting ur 2 cp.

Like to add.. I'm sending my money to you shortly. Paypal is frozen right now...

Also Im goin to college soon and found out that my dorm will only have dial up. I heard that connection doesnt hender performance but the cpu. Is this true or what?

Stormycloud
Non-Subscriber

Post by Stormycloud » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:18 am

"Quote from Lax" I'm doing a lot of testing tonight to see how much system and video memory is used per session. With a 128MB card I am limited to 4 in-game EQ's. This seems to indicate that about 32MB is required per session. "End Quote"

3 EQ Sessions is not recommended.

The other thing to look at is your commit charge on your physical memory. 512 MB of RAM may not be the best for 3 Boxing. Press CTRL ALT DEL and down in the right hand corner you will see commit charge the first number is the amount your using the second is the available including virtual memory. If it is going over 512 You are getting into a swap file which will decrease the graphics performance and also cause lag. Might want to think about upgrading to 1 GiG RAM.

3 EQ Sessions is not recommended.

As for getting a new Video card, I'd say if you want to run 3 EQ Sessions or more yeah it's time to upgrade. 128 is good for 4 Sessions 256 is good for 8, But the more video memory you have even if yer running less Sessions the better.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:12 am

I'm doing more extensive testing in the next few days with a very low end card -- GeForce 2 MX200 32MB. Making good progress making sure everything is compatible.

512MB RAM is going to be what's mostly slowing you down. If you can run 3 without it crashing or missing textures, your video card may be sufficient.

Missing textures wont happen in the next release. When your video card is out of available memory, WinEQ will simply prevent you from opening another EQ session instead of crashing or missing textures (which are both EQ bugs, not a WinEQ bug, and if I had Hobart or Rowyls email addresses I would let them know about it).

Olivianna
Non-Subscriber

Post by Olivianna » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:12 pm

Yeah, sometimes I get a message saying vitrual memory is low. Would that be my 512 Ram or my 64 mb grafix card? *sorry- im computer illiterate.*

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:01 pm

That's more on your 512MB ram.

As mentioned I am doing a lot of testing, and hopefully this next update will help people decide whether their system is sufficient. WinEQ will refuse to run if there is not enough physical system RAM available, and will give a warning if you start an EQ and there is not enough video RAM.