Zoning Issue

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

legericone
GamingTools Subscriber

Zoning Issue

Post by legericone » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:28 am

Whenever I zone my cpu usage goes to nothing, computer just idles, resulting in extremely slow zoning times. The instances will suddenly get priority and then pretty much all zone at the same time. Have ran each from different directories, as well as from the same, and with and without playnice.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:30 am

:shock:

Interesting. Let's get some system info here. What version of Windows, what video card, how many EQ sessions, how much RAM? Also what CPU and possibly even what speed of hard drive if you know?

legericone
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by legericone » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:41 am

Windows 2k, P4 2.8 with 512mb corsair. ATI9600. 7200rpm 8mb cache western digital hdd.

Tested with one to three instances, all doing the same, but loading times being better with fewer of course.

Everything works just fine when all instances are zoned - cpu usage normal. As soon as zoning though, drops off.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:50 am

Okay. My guess at this point is that the lack of RAM is holding you back. When you have 2 open, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the task manager and check the Commit Charge in the lower right. With 2 open and some other stuff open at the same time during testing, I am typically at 841M / 2461M. For you, any time the first number is above about 500M, you're starting to swap things to disk. This as I'm sure you know is much much slower than your RAM. You may wish to decrease texture settings and turn off all models except for yours + horses.

Let me know about the commit charge numbers with 1,2 and 3 open. I'll get some tips figured out for lowering the amount of memory used per session.

legericone
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by legericone » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:37 am

I have had minimal models and low texture settings for awhile now and was previously able to run three without this problem. Only thing I have changed is upgrading to dsl, which I did after it had already started to happen. I agree that more RAM would help to run more smoothly, but it happens even with only one instance running when there is ample memory.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:02 pm

Well, let me know the numbers and I'll help figure something out.