Oddly, sound lag when using WinEQ 1.0

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Jena_Willowfeather
Non-Subscriber

Oddly, sound lag when using WinEQ 1.0

Post by Jena_Willowfeather » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:17 am

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
MSI K7N2 Delta-L MoBo (using onboard sound)
GeForce 4 Ti4200 8x, 128 MB RAM
512 MB of PC3200 RAM in DDR
Windows XP Pro SP1 + Latest patches

Up until v1.0 of WinEQ, I have been able to using Yahoo Instant Messanger to converse with my girl, and it's worked flawlessly except for a lil cutout during start-up of EQ and when the pagefiles swap.

However, using WinEQ 1.0 causes terrible "static"...except it's not static. It's like the sound from Yahoo is getting repeatedly cut out and restarted in milliseconds. Instead of the standard "can't do that" pong sound, it's almost a buzz. When either of us speak, it's very...um...buzzy. lol Hard to explain, you'd have to hear it for yourself.

When I boot EQ without WinEQ, it works fine. When I look in the Task Manager, WinEQ is only taking about 650K of memory and 00 CPU, so it's likely a code issue. =/

And I must say Lax, you make a good piece of software. lol I was hesitant to even consider paying for the program (though honestly, I'd much rather pay $24 for WinEQ/EQPN and not get Fury), but I'm starting to come around. ^_~ I understand that the software underwent a major retooling in the last few days and that bugs are bound to work their way to the surface. Keep up the good work and I'll prolly be another paying customer. ^_^

Again, thank you in advance for any and all help in this matter.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:47 am

Hi there. Honestly I'm not sure why you would have this sound issue, particularly related to WinEQ. I know exactly what you're talking about, and have experienced it a few years ago with a different system.

A quick google on "nforce2 static sound" turns up several posts on various message boards looking for help with such a problem. It appears as though you may need to install some realtek drivers to clear up the static. The drivers from windows update may not work correctly (you may actually be able to go into your sound driver settings and use the Roll Back Driver option).

Try fiddling around with the driver. Realtek's web site is here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Let me know if this helps :)

Jena_Willowfeather
Non-Subscriber

Post by Jena_Willowfeather » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:29 am

The static sound issue is more of a memory leak in the Windows Update driver - the sound corrupts after about 6 hours of EQ in a raid situation or heavy rain/enviromental sounds.

I'm running WinEQ 0.98 right now and it's working flawlessly. I'll mess around with the drivers, but this is the first time it's done this. It only happened when I used v1.0 - when I logged in without it, it was fine. Logged out, turned WinEQ on, logged in, and poof...sound issue.

Thanks for your help Lax!