Authentication problem

EQPlayNice Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Impure Torment
Non-Subscriber

Authentication problem

Post by Impure Torment » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:25 pm

I downloaded/reinstalled latested and greatest EQPN lite, opened the pre-authenticate window and typed in my forum username (Impure Torment) and password, check the autologgin box, and I get an error saying it can't communicate with the login server. Tried again, thinking maybe I had a bad download, and still get the same thing.
Went in and created a new forum user (Sgnos), authenticated it, and tried that username, same deal. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Imp

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:56 pm

Can you give me the exact error message?

Impure Torment
Non-Subscriber

error message

Post by Impure Torment » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:14 pm

Connection to Lavish license server failed. The server may be inaccessable to you at this time, or the amount of network lag between you and the server is extraordinarily high.

Don't seem to have any noticable lag or latency. Ping times to anywhere on the net are running about 90ms or less so I don't 'think' it is network lag, but something else, but I've been wrong before. Probably something on my end I just can't figure it out.

Disabled software firewall and put machine in the DMZ for hardware side, didn't make any difference. Disable AV, no change. CPU usage in game is running right around 90% so I'm sure EQPN isn't doing it's thing, when I had it working before my usage was right around 35%.

Tried installing WinEQ too, tried it with integration off, only WinEQ and all EQ, no change to getting EQPN to do it''s thing.

When running with WinEQ, does it matter what order the two programs are loaded in? Tried it loading EQPN first and second but it's didn't seem to change the way anything worked. (You've probably answered this somewhere but I can't find it.)

One last thing, EQ plays great under xp 64-bit, but EQPN and WinEQ both crash, don't know if you have a 64bit test bed or not and I have a LOT of beta software and drivers loaded (it's all beta technically), so probably gonna have a lot of conflicts there.
Imp

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:12 pm

Ok. Is this all on 64-bit? I dont have a 64-bit machine, so it could be related unless that's another computer.

So WinEQ does work but EQPlayNice does not? Or are they both having this issue? They both use the exact same connection routines, so I'd be very confused if only one or the other had a problem connecting.

Shadaki
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Shadaki » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:10 am

Is WinEQ running at the same time?
I found EQPN wont connect/patch as WinEQ is using the files (Intergration). Even after exiting WinEQ I had to reboot w/o it loading up to get EQPN to work by itself properly.

Impure Torment
Non-Subscriber

not on 64bit

Post by Impure Torment » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:08 pm

This is all under xp pro. Just mentioned the 64bit problems as an aside, sorry for the confusion.

Shadaki, same problem with or without wineq running, at first I was only using EQPN, only added WinEQ to the mix after reading about the integration thing on here to see if that was the problem.

Lax, WinEQ seems to work just fine, can run EQ fine, even set up a second EQ directory and ran two sessions without a problem (other than 'slight' loss of framerate vs. one session) and could alt+tab between them with little hesitation. With even one instance running CPU usage is approaching 95-97%. My past experience with EQPN on an older, slower machine, was that single EQ session with EQPN would keep CPU usage to around 30-40% (don't have any numbers for running multiple sessions on that machine). Also, no longer have that machine to see if it's version of EQPN still works.

64bit aside:
Put things into debug mode and tried to capture the failure when starting EQPN or WinEQ. Seemed to be getting a conflict with the 64bit Internet Explorer. Tried running them from a clean boot with as much of the 64bit IE disabled as I could and still get it to boot and they both seemed to start up normally. 64bit IE is pretty integrated into the system at boot, but with most of the services that directly relate to IE being disabled the programs ran normally. When I have time, I will go through enabling services one at a time to try and narrow the conflict to a single default service start up.
If you would like any specific information on 64bit, let me know and I will do what I can to get it to you.
Imp

Impure Torment
Non-Subscriber

update

Post by Impure Torment » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:34 am

Ok, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. If I have integration turned on do I even need to run the EQPN app?
I think what I was doing wrong was starting WinEQ then trying to run EQPN and somehow winEQ was keeping it from authenticating properly. If I ONLY run WinEQ everything seems to be working. But, I can't verfiy my CPU usage because when I try to bring up the task manager EQ crashes (does it without WinEQ running too so it's not a problem with WinEQ but a problem with my system or EQ itself).
As I said before, I do a lot of beta testing so it is most likely I have something here causing problems. I just wanted to make sure that I am correct in the assumption about not needing to run EQPN if I have integration turned on in WinEQ.
Imp

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:27 pm

Correct, if you're using integration, then WinEQ is acting as the EQPN tray program for you.