EQPlaynice no longer starts correctly !?

EQPlayNice Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

EQPlaynice no longer starts correctly !?

Post by EQNET » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:46 pm

EQPlaynice has been working great for quite awhile. Now all of a sudden on 3 different computes, EQPlaynice which I load automatically via shortcut in the Start Menu does not load correctly. The "EQPlayNice.exe" shows up in the Task Manger Processes list, but the program isn't actually running. It doesn't appear in the Taskbar either. I have to End Process it, then load it again manually and it starts working properly. Now this happened on 3 separate computers.

What happened? I noticed some patch files in the EQPlayNice directory. Somehow something got screwed up.

??

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:24 am

Some firewalls apparently are messing with the automatic updates. Delete your EQPlayNice folder and re-install the latest EQPN if you have this problem

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:52 pm

Oops, I posted in the wrong forum.

Well I just deleted the EQPlayNice folder, re-downloaded the latest one and it still does this.

I have both software and hardware firewalls. Is there anyway to turn off the auto patcher for now? I noticed this line in the EQPlayNice.ini file:

AutoChanged=1

Will changing that to 0 stop the auto patcher thing?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:05 pm

No, the patcher will do its thing no matter what. It should have no files to patch if you re-downloaded it, so it should start up fine. I updated the EQPlayNice download and patch today, so if you downloaded yesterday and installed it today, its possible it had to patch.

I'll see if I can put in some diagnostic information for you to see why it's hanging.

AutoChanged=1 is what EQPN puts in the ini file after it automatically modifies the background max FPS to 20 from the default of 30. That is to help WinEQ Lite users.

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:11 pm

I'll redownload and try again. I had made a temp fix in a batch file that uses sleep.exe. With a pause of 10 seconds, it's enough for EQPN to load properly.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:16 pm

I'm not sure what you are delaying in the batch file to solve your problem

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:26 pm

This is in my batch file for which I have shortcut to in the Startup Folder.

start sleep 1
start EQPlayNice.exe

I changed the delay to 1 from 10 and it still works. If I have a shortcut to the EQPN .exe then I get those weird problems as I described above.

I just re-downloaded the latest version and it still has the problem.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:35 pm

Ok. I finally see what you're saying now. I will see if I can reproduce the problem.

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:55 pm

Changing the delay sometimes makes a difference. I think what is happening is it's to do with obtaining the IP addy automatically. If I enter manually my IP, Gateway, & DNS details, it seems to work better.

But it would be handy if you could add some kind of delay in EQPN so it doesn't try to connect with the patcher or authorize immediately as from my experience, it just gets stuck in no mans land.

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:39 pm

Hi there,

I just tried downloading and installing the latest version and it seems to be working without the need for my batch file. However there are 2 things which I'm concerned about.

1) The login screen keeps popping up on systems over and over again. It's a random thing. Sometimes you don't see it for ages and others like today, I must have typed in the login info 8 times before it finally went away.

Can't you get rid of this screen alltogether? I've checked the check mark that says remember the login info, so that should be the last time I ever see that screen right?

2) It takes quite a few minutes now for EQPN to actually load up into the system tray. I guess it's doing a patching thing or something. Just wondering what's the scoop on this. It just to load up instantly, now I keep getting the login screen over and over and finally after a few minutes it loads into the systray.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:35 pm

There is a patch process, but should be pretty much instant unless EQPlayNice is downloading new files. I just put in progress bar windows yesterday that shows the patch download progress. EQPlayNice 1.15 automatically downloads any new files, so you should not need to re-download unless for some reason the patch screws up.

The login screen should never pop up unless there is an authentication or connection problem. If you are a dialup user or the route to our server is congested, you might see it. Most people will never see it if they check the auto-login box. I will see what I can do to reduce the frequency for you. What kind of connection are you on?

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:49 pm

I'm on a business cable connection 3Mbps Down / 512Kbps Up.

Maybe in the future it could be an idea to get rid of this screen once the login data is in the registry.

Concerning the problem above about EQPN not loading properly, changing from Auto IP/DHCP to manual IP entry seemed to make the biggest difference of all. Maybe worth putting in your FAQ for future reference.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:24 am

Again, the login screen never pops up if the login data is stored, unless there is an authorization problem multiple times in a row. If someone has an invalid password stored the box has to pop up...

Changing from DHCP to manual IP probably would change the startup situation indeed, since retrieving your IP takes a decent chunk of time when your computer starts initially. I will make note of that and if it comes up again I can put it in the FAQ, or I can figure out how to delay the patching until the system is completely started.

EQNET
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by EQNET » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:27 am

Hi Lax,

well I've found a workaround to the login screen popping and I'm quite happy with it. I have an auto minimize program loaded for another task I need, and configured it to autominimize the login screen. Everything works as it should and I don't get the login/error screens poping up visibly anymore.