EQPlayNice Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

InvisiBill
Non-Subscriber

EQPN wins!

Post by InvisiBill » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:24 pm

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/updates/ ... pdates.jsp
Windowed Mode *
The EverQuest process is now more friendly. Alt+tab'ing to other windows should be much more responsive.You can also choose to adjust your maximum Frames Per Second(FPS) in the Options Window under display settings. The valid range for the slider is 10 to 100. The default is 100 which means EverQuest will not throttle your FPS. Lowering your setting will cap your FPS at that value and free up the CPU for other tasks.

*denotes a community requested change
The stated goal of EQPN was to enforce Sony's own Play Nice Policy on the EverQuest program, in regards to other programs. It looks like it has at least partially reached that goal.

I have a feeling that EQPN will continue to do a better job of it (with the rendering limiting and stuff), but it looks like it has directly influenced EQ. I highly doubt that Sony would have done anything about it if there hadn't been a working example. Congrats Lax, in showing that the customers are the ones really in charge of products.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:29 pm

This isn't the first time they've borrowed my functionality ;)

EQPlayNice lives on, and has new features planned in the next month or so :)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:58 pm

TBH, im not quite sure what to think of their limiter yet. The cpu usage % shown by Windows with their system I don't think is accurate.... wandering around through Plane of Knowledge varies between 0% (no idea how it's at 0% at any time especially while wandering, i assume that's a fluke) and 50% cpu usage. Idling in the background I'm watching it go up to 80% cpu usage. EQ itself is definitely more system-friendly and not using 100% cpu time, but quite inconsistent and sporadic. They also do not implement a version of the rendering limiting.

So as far as I'm concerned, EQPlayNice Pro is still a very good complement to WinEQ Pro for playing multiple characters on the same system. However, EQPlayNice Lite is no longer a requirement (more or less) for people wishing to simply browse the web, chat in IRC or IMs, or check email while playing the game.
Last edited by Lax on Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InvisiBill
Non-Subscriber

Post by InvisiBill » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:23 pm

With my trader sitting in Bazaar and a few browser windows open, eqgame.exe is using 70%-90%.

I have no doubts that Sony's changes are less than optimal. Like you said, at least it should be a little more friendly for doing other basic stuff while EQ is running.

kraken
Non-Subscriber

Post by kraken » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:53 pm

I'll have to say, the changes made to EQ with this patch don't provide nearly the performance when playing two instances on the same machine that EQPN provides (I'm talking about the Lite version here - I can't speak for the pay version but I can only assume that it provides at least the same performance as Lite).

Arafein
Non-Subscriber

Post by Arafein » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:59 pm

The attempt by the dev team to reduce Everquest's monopoly on the computer resources seem to be a failure in my opinion. Whether in the fore or background EQ is still using 90% of my CPU, as it does when I set the FPS down to 10 in the options window. Conversely, EQPNLite running at at 10fps in the background has it running at a 'mere' 60% of my CPU.