Avast catching Innerspace.exe as virus

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Joramilea
GamingTools Subscriber

Avast catching Innerspace.exe as virus

Post by Joramilea » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:20 pm

I read on the ISboxer forums to patch as developer so WoW would run after patch 7.3. Now Avast is saying Innerspace is a virus and blocks me from the program.

It reads

We've blocked the threat InnerSpace.exe from harming your computer.

Threat name IDP.Generic
Process C:\Program Files9x86)\InnerSpace\X64\InnerSpace.exe
Detected by Behavior Shild

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello!

It didn't say Inner Space is a virus. There's only one case of the word "virus" in your post...

This is the problem with most people using Anti-virus software -- it is telling you things that you're not sure how to understand.

It says it's a "threat" and the specific threat is "generic".

It is then up to you to operate your anti-virus software. Do you believe Inner Space is a "threat"? If you know it to not be a "threat" then you should click the "Don't Quarantine" button. If it didn't give you that kind of a button to click, it is making assumptions about whether or not you know what the software is/does and making the choice for you. There should be a setting in Avast that you can change to not quarantine programs that you are intending to use.

So... you should be able to un-quarantine the file, or temporarily disable Avast to complete installing.

The reason AV software may detect a "generic threat" in Inner Space is because it implements a custom loader. (i.e. the entire discussion in the WoW 7.3.0 compatibility thread on the ISBoxer forum, and the reason it needed an update). Generally, AV software should recognize that the software is digitally signed, and not assign it random "generic threats".

Joramilea
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Joramilea » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something with my virus program but just wanted to make sure. I get SO confused with that stupid program.

I just want to play both my accounts now that I am able to have play time after the 7.3 patch!

CHEERS! :D