Everquest

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Saeldaan
GamingTools Subscriber

Everquest

Post by Saeldaan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am

I have 128 GB of memory and each instance of Everquest only uses 2GB or less of memory. Is there some way of making the instances use more memory to speed things up with innerspace?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 am

Sounds like you might be interested in a RAM drive. Essentially this is a way of pre-loading raw files from your hard drive, into memory. So you might have C:\EverQuest where it's stored on your actual hard drive, and then your RAM drive might be F:, with F:\EverQuest being a copy of C:\EverQuest.

The memory usage for this will be the total size of the files, so for example if your EQ folder is 16GB, you're going to use up another 16GB total of the RAM to support this. And then everything should load faster because it's already in RAM.

ImDisk is a free RAM drive. http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk There is also an "ImDisk toolkit" download that add some additional GUI for it. I have not used ImDisk in several years and it has been updated since I last used it, so I can't really give you a step by step list of instructions. :)

Other than that I would not say there is a practical way to make it use more memory

Saeldaan
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Saeldaan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 am

A ram disk would use more memory for sure. I doubt if it would improve performance much ...but it is worth a shot. I have an SSD and it is pretty fast.

The thing that is probably most of the bottle neck is my 30 mbps internet. Be that as it may the more efficiency and speed I can wring out of my end the better.

Thanks as always for your quick suggestions!