launching sessiions from the console?

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

morwic
GamingTools Subscriber

launching sessiions from the console?

Post by morwic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:52 pm

I have character sets defined to Inner Space by ISBoxer.

The main character set has one slot for each account that I use and names the primary character used on that account.

Additional sets are the same, but may substitute an alternate character for the main. This way there are never any slot conflicts as I swap alt characters in and out using these sets.

From the Inner Space right-click menu I can launch individual characters and it seems to do what I want it to:

(A) If there is no session active for the selected slot, it launches the game for that character.

(B) If there is an active session, it changes the character set and character associated with the slot. I haven't actually checked, but I hope that means it also switches to the appropriate virtual files.

(Note: the "launch a slot" function from ISBoxer does not seem to do (B), and so does not work for my purposes.)

I would like to be able to initiate the same sort of launch activity using a console command. Eventually I hope to issue several such commands using a script of some sort, to emulate the launching of a character set using characters potentially from multiple sets.

----

I yet understand how things fit together and what functions are accomplished at what levels. it is all probably documented, but I can't seem to find what I want to know.

So I would appreciate pointers to what I should have read to find out for myself, as well as specific answers to "how do I do this?".

morwic
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by morwic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Oops . I don't see an "edit" button. I left out a "do not" in "I ... yet understand" above.

morwic
GamingTools Subscriber

sigh :(

Post by morwic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Since I posted this, I have discovered a few things.

Most critically, that the extension .ISS means "inner space script" or some such, and so I should look at those for clues.

Sure enough, it looks like there are already scripts that do the launching.

And maybe I can call/invoke/activate them from a script of my own.

I'll have to study them a bit to see what is possible, but at least now i have something to study. I was going in circles trying to decipher the wiki documentation without having any context in which to place the information.

I'm feeling both daunted and clueless as I look at some of the other posts here and see all the complex things people are doing casually.

But with the discovery of real examples of what a script does I have hope that some of it may start to make a little sense.

So don't go to a lot of trouble yet to try to explain an answer to my question... I may figure it out, or at least discover the real questions I need to ask.

Of course, if there is a simple answer and you just want to tell me, that's ok too. But if it is complicated wait until I have done a little more homework.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:33 am

Launch a full Character Set:

Code: Select all

run isboxer -launch "Name of Character Set"
Launch a single Slot from a Character Set:

run isboxer -launchslot "Name of Character Set" <#>
e.g. to launch Slot 7

run isboxer -launchslot "Name of Character Set" 7
I would like to be able to initiate the same sort of launch activity using a console command. Eventually I hope to issue several such commands using a script of some sort, to emulate the launching of a character set using characters potentially from multiple sets.
In a nutshell, looking to reproduce the launcher section of isboxer.iss. I would probably be looking there. ;)

morwic
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by morwic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:30 am

Thank you very much.

I have not had time to pursue this today, but will get back to it soon.

Can you offer any comment on the difference between launching a slot through the ISBoxer right-click menu, and launching that same slot from the Inner Space right-click menu?

Both of them start a new session for the slot if there is no session running.

But if there is already an active session in that slot, the ISBoxer launch seems to do nothing, while the Inner Space launch updates the session to reflect the new character running in that slot.

At least that is what I thought I saw.

---

I still have not given up on the idea of using ISBoxer more as it is intended to be used, rather than trying this end run around it.

But I keep running into puzzles, and I could use some advice. I'll take that discussion back to the ISBoxer forums, though I am still pretty fuzzy about whether particular functions are part of Inner Space or ISBoxer. For a beginner the line seems pretty blurred.

---

I ran into what seems to be a glitch with key broadcast this morning. I think that would be an Inner Space concern?

I launched a 3-character set, used key broadcast to get them all logged in.

After a bit, turned broadcast on again to type "/camp desktop<enter>"

The screen I was on and one other properly camped out.

The other typed "/caaamp desktop" and so got "invalid command".

Not aware of anything else going on in the machine.

???

No idea how to reproduce it. And it cannot be a frequent occurrence or people would be up in arms. But I thought I should probably mention it.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:30 am

Can you offer any comment on the difference between launching a slot through the ISBoxer right-click menu, and launching that same slot from the Inner Space right-click menu?

Both of them start a new session for the slot if there is no session running.

But if there is already an active session in that slot, the ISBoxer launch seems to do nothing, while the Inner Space launch updates the session to reflect the new character running in that slot.
Both methods do exactly the same command. run isboxer -launchslot "Character Set" <#>.
The other typed "/caaamp desktop" and so got "invalid command".
If EQ1 (specifically; this doesn't happen in all games) lags for a moment while you're typing the command, a broadcasted key could potentially come out twice. From being held. Like if you are typing and you hold the A key and it comes out twice, that's exactly what happens in this case
But I keep running into puzzles, and I could use some advice. I'll take that discussion back to the ISBoxer forums, though I am still pretty fuzzy about whether particular functions are part of Inner Space or ISBoxer. For a beginner the line seems pretty blurred.
Any time you're asking how to program something manually in Inner Space via LavishScript, it does not belong on the ISBoxer forum. Any time you're NOT doing that, but are just using ISBoxer, launching the game through ISBoxer, playing with ISBoxer hotkeys, etc -- these are for ISBoxer.com. Even though, yes, anything you do while playing at that point technically happens "in Inner Space".

morwic
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by morwic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Thank you. I guess I was mistaken about a difference in behavior of the two methods of launching a slot.

I don't *think* I ever defined a global whatever anywhere, but since I might have interpreted global to mean for all characters or some such, I'll have to search through my profiles to be sure.