Right Shift key not recognized in EQ.

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

meggen
GamingTools Subscriber

Right Shift key not recognized in EQ.

Post by meggen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi,
Having an odd issue, the right shift key is not being recognized correctly.
I copied my Innerspace folder from one pc, which had a G110 keyboard, to another that has a regular keyboard.

No, the right shift key is not being recognized in EQ.
I ran the buttontest.iss script, and pressing the left shift key shows 'shift' being pressed and pressing the right shift key shows both 'shift' and 'right shift' keys being pressed.

But in EQ if I try to set a key using the right shift it does not recognize it.
e.g. I try to set up 'chat line up' to be Right Shift + Cursor Up, and EQ shows it just as Cursor Up. But if I use Shift + Cursor Up it shows it correctly.

The right shift key works correctly in WinEQ2.

Is there something set incorrectly for a standard keyboard because I copied from a pc with the G110 keyboard ?

I really need the right shift key to work.

Thanks

meggen
GamingTools Subscriber

update.

Post by meggen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 pm

I've been investigating this, and I think I may have found the problem.

On the G110 PC, it appears that boththe left and right shift keys are being recognized by EQ as Shift (even though the buttontest.iss shows them differently).

On the other PC it appears that the left and right shift keys are being recognized independently, and EQ does not recognize the right shift key and is ignoring it.

So, simplest solution I can think of.
Is there a way in innerspace to make the right shift key act like the left shift key ?

meggen
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by meggen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 pm

I almost fixed it :P

Downloaded a program called KeyTweak that modifies the keyboard scancodes in the windows registry.
Mapped the Left Shift key onto the Right Shift key.
Started Innerspace, got to the Everquest login screen.
Opened the console and ran Buttontest.iss, pressing either shift key showed 'Shift' being pressed and released :)
Got to character select screen, pressing the left shift key still shows 'Shift' being pressed and released but pressing the right shift key now shows 'Right Shift' being pressed and released :(

So, fixing this in windows does not appear to be an option due to either Everquest or Innerspace bypassing the windows scancode registry settings.

How do I rebind the right shift key to be the same as the left shift key in IS ?

meggen
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by meggen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

(wish I could edit posts)

Another bit of info.
It appears that this problem is only present when using a PS/2 keyboard.
When using a USB keyboard the right shift key appears to be recognized correctly.

With either keyboard, the buttontest.iss script differentiates between the two shift keys correctly.

Guess the easiest answer is buy a new keyboard, but would be really nice to have a fix that didn't involve that :P