Applications for 32bit Windows are not supported anymore?

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Snape
GamingTools Subscriber

Applications for 32bit Windows are not supported anymore?

Post by Snape » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:34 am

I've performed the following experiment lately: installed 2 virtual machines with 2 different Windows - WinXP 32bit and Win7 64bit. Then I've have the same installations to add DirectX, .Net (3.51 and then 4.0), IS and EVE Online. IS on both machines was set to download developement version (which uses .NET 4.0, I assume). Then I've tried to launch a EVE bot, compiled for x86 systems, which requires .NET 4.0 too. It launched in Win7 machine, though worked with pretty damn unusable freezes (up to 5 mins) - because of Win7 system requirements, I think. OTOH, EVE in WinXP machine works like a charm, but any attempt to launch the bot produces "BadImageFormatException".

So my question is: did I get it right - developement version of IS is not designed to launch extensions in 32bit environment? If no, what else should I do to launch an application which requires .NET 4 from IS console in WinXP, so it doesn't pop up this exception?

Sidenote: I'm sure the application is compiled for x86 rather than x64 - when I run it from WinXP command line, it launches without any problems (but does nothing, indeed, as it requires IS uplink to work).

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 am

On Windows XP, under Inner Space, you are currently restricted to .net 2.0-3.5, regardless of whether .NET 4.0 is installed.

On Windows Vista or later, you may use .NET 2.0-3.5 or 4.0.

32-bit or 64-bit is irrelevant; you are getting this issue specifically because Windows XP behaves differently with .NET 4.0 than the others, and the best solution thus far has been to either switch to Vista or later, or use .NET 2.0-3.5 instead of 4.

Snape
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Snape » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am

I can't use .NET 3.5 because my extension requires .NET 4 to work... but oh well, I guess I try to install Vista or some lesser Win7 (like basic 32bit) then. Thanks for the answer!