Inner Space with Steam and EverQuest 2

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Jazcat
GamingTools Subscriber

Inner Space with Steam and EverQuest 2

Post by Jazcat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Hello I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice with this problem.

I'm trying to get the steam overlay to successfully open within eq2, steam can launch the game and successfully load the overlay but EQ2 seems to block the keypress "shift-tab" from being detected by steam, hence the overlay will not open. Binding it to another key unused by eq2 lets me open the overlay but I cannot type in chat windows, all keypress just pass to the game client as normal instead.

In an attempt to fix this I’ve launched the steam client through inner space and then launching the game. Everything still works as it should and the overlay loads but I still cannot get eq2 to allow the keypresses to pass to steam.

I do recall several years ago that innerspace removed this keyblocking restriction? It's the reason for attempting this method.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work?
Thank you.

Jazcat
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Jazcat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm

*update*
I've gotten it to work but i'm now having another problem :)

Launching steam through inner space and then launching the everquest2.exe from steam, then also changing the default steam shortcut "shift-tab" to something else allows the overlay to open AND I can successfully type/chat within it.

BUT if i attempt to alt-tab eq2 it will crash with this error:

This only happens when launched innerspace>steam>everquest2.exe

I know this not an innerspace problem but i'm just after some help as i would really like to be able to run the steam overlay and inner space together with eq2.

Jazcat
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Jazcat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 pm

*more information*

Seems the forum image embeding is not work you'll have to copy paste that above link into browser.

The crash and error popup happens when alt-tabbing or shifting from fullscreen to windowed mode, i thought inner space may be playing a part there as it controls gaming windows. Disabling any of inner spaces window control functionality could fix this issue? I have no need for it.

PS. EQ2's performance drops too much in windowed mode so I don’t wish to run it like that.

Jazcat
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Jazcat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:44 am

Just found the crashing happens regardless of steam, when eq2 is launched via innerspace it'll still do it. This is on 2 different pc's, different video cards. Both nvidia though.