Console keyboard input stops working

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

hendar
GamingTools Subscriber

Console keyboard input stops working

Post by hendar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 pm

I have a feeling this is something stupid on my part, but there are times when I am unable to type anything in the uplink console. The window is scrolled all the way to the bottom (no red background), I am able to use the cursor keys to scroll through previous commands. I can use backspace to delete characters. I cannot enter new characters though.

Closing the console and reopening it does not change the behavior. I'm sure that if I exited all the way out of IS that the new console would work again. However I'm running some EQ sessions, and really don't feel like logging out right now.

This is one of the little annoying things that I never remember to bring up on the forums. Until now, when I want to see what scripts are running.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 am

Try tapping left and right modifiers when this happens? I can't say I've had this happen to me.

Sometimes when I have multiple input languages installed I hit Shift+Alt and trigger a language switch without realizing it. (e.g. intending to hit another key after, but changing my mind) And that can be super confusing because it makes the keyboard act differently than the moment before. So try that key combo as well ;)

hendar
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by hendar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

As luck would have it, when I read your reply I find I have another stuck console. It was indeed a modifier stuck (one of the control keys), and makes perfect sense.

I suppose IS could detect the focus loss with a modifier down, but the work around is minimal (now that I know what is going on).

Thanks for the suggestion.