Sidewinder X6 macro keys

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

luranvs
GamingTools Subscriber

Sidewinder X6 macro keys

Post by luranvs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 pm

I've been trying to set up the macro keys on my Sidewinder X6 keyboard for key mapping in Innerspace and EQ1.

For example, at the moment, I have numpad 1 to make my other character sit. If I change the key to SWX6-S25, I'll get a pop up from the keyboard software telling me "macro key not assigned". This leads me to assume there's a conflict between Innerspace and the Microsoft keyboard software.

I don't really mind using the numpad for key mapping, but I would like to use the S1 to S6 keys as they're easier to reach when my hand is on WASD.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Sounds to me like you should just close the MS keyboard software after unassigning the keys in it, and then it should work fine through Inner Space.

Worst case scenario is to just use the MS keyboard software and have IS interpret the keys it is configured to send when you hit one of the S-keys, instead of assigning it directly through IS. (Run the MS software as Administrator if on Vista or later)

luranvs
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by luranvs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I thought I'd do some experimenting to see if I could work out what the issue was.

Firstly I tried WoW (without IS), to see if was the keyboard software. The generic profile didn't work, but if I set up a WoW (wow.exe) specific one it did.

Then tried EQ on it's own. I set up an eq.exe profile, but it ignored that and used the generic one. So it worked, not how I expected it to, but still a success.

Next I tried EQ and IS together, and neither profiles worked. I then created a profile for IS in case the MS software thought that was the game, and it still doesn't work.

Finally I tried WoW and IS, and now the S-keys are no longer working. Naked EQ and WoW work, ISed EQ and WoW don't, so I think I know where to point the finger.

As I said earlier, I guess I'll stick to just using the numpad keys. Thanks for the help tho, much appreciated.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 pm

If the MS Sidewinder software running but is not running as Administrator, and you are using Vista or Windows 7, your additional buttons will not work when the game is launched through Inner Space. The software will not have permission to do so due to the design of the operating system.

luranvs
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by luranvs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:33 am

You're right, from my quick test, running itype.exe as administrator does allow the S-keys to work.

Can't believe I didn't do that sooner *bangs head on desk*. It still needs some tweaks from what I can tell, but it's getting there.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.