Innerspace Win7 and dx11

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

kool24
GamingTools Subscriber

Innerspace Win7 and dx11

Post by kool24 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:05 pm

I just bought win7 couple days ago. And installing IS again and im running into problems. Well first i had to run the IS shortcut in compablity mode for xp sp3 to get it to install and now its telling me i half to use dx9.c to use it :( . Any updates coming for this soon, one of the reason i got win7 is for update to dx10-11.

Thanks

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:49 pm

I have been using Windows 7 Ultimate since it was in Beta, and used Inner Space on it daily.

To install IS on Windows 7 you may have had to -- at most -- right click it and select Run as Administrator. It will need to continue running as Administrator. If UAC is enabled in Windows, this means it should pop up a box asking you to confirm that it is allowed. Running in XP SP3 compatibility mode is not recommended.

To solve the DirectX problem, install the updates as instructed. The download you are pointed to is "dxwebsetup" which will download and install the latest DirectX updates.

DirectX 9, 10, and 11 are different products, and different games are developed to run on a specific version. Most of today's top games are built for DirectX 9. Each of DirectX 9, 10 and 11 comes with Windows 7 (Vista, likewise, has 9 and 10). DirectX 9.0c came out in 2004, but there have been a few dozen updates to DirectX 9.0c since then (1 every 2-3 months or so). Neither Windows Vista nor Windows 7 come with these updates.

There's a couple dozen DirectX 10 games, listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ga ... 10_support
And then there's a few that can use DirectX 11: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ga ... 11_support

Many (most? all?) of the games that can use 10 and 11 also provide Direct3D9 mode. It would be silly for them not to, since they don't want to rule out Windows XP customers. When playing games with IS, Direct3D9 mode is currently required (though 10 and 11 support may be available in 2010).

That's not to say you wont reap benefits from Windows 7. The games should perform much better than on XP.