DaoC/ISBoxer Notes (08/23/09)

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

JamieW
Non-Subscriber

DaoC/ISBoxer Notes (08/23/09)

Post by JamieW » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:33 pm

I got a chance to play around with DaoC with ISBoxer/IS in a 3-client configuration this evening. Here are the things that I had some issues with:
  • Windowsnapper has an issue with the resolution changes. I believe this has to do with the DAOC character login screen being at a different resolution than the normal game screen. After initial client startup, the windows will swap to their slots on the layout, but the active window will be in the wrong resolution. From what we discussed, the window layout issues are a known issue with DAOC.
  • I have an issue with the user configuration files with DAOC. I tried to setup a virtual file, but it didn't seem to help. The newest DAOC client stores its information in several files all located (on a Vista machine) at: the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Electronics Arts\Dark Age of Camelot\LOTM\ director (I believe that you can sub out the first part with %APPDATA%). DAOC accesses a user.dat file and a .ini/.ign file pair named after the character - server number (ie., Jamiewolf-10.ini). The resolution/sound and volume settings/etc. are all located in the user.dat file. In previous clients, this file was stored in the DAOC directory itself. DAOC doesn't look in the DAOC directory first to find this file, and if it isn't in the AppData location, it will move the user.dat file it finds in its own directory to the AppData location. Any help on getting virtual files working with DAOC here would be wonderful!
  • I had an issue where DAOC was constantly reverting one of my keyboard settings in-game on me. I haven't had this issue when I've run the client without IS. Specifically it was the key setting for the "Stick" function (which is like a /follow, but closer to the target). I was trying to assign it to the Middle Mouse button. It would accept the assignment and work for a few seconds, and then when I'd check it, it would be set to "ESC". I'd guess that DAOC got confused with IS's implementation of DirectInput7, but it didn't lose bindings for Mouse-button 4 or 5. This continued to happen repeatedly throughout the night.
  • I have the 'q' key bound to my Ventrilo Push-to-talk when playing DAOC. When holding down the key to talk on ventrilo, after a few seconds, DAOC would turn off the player "torch". Again, I haven't noticed this when running without IS. The normal keypress to change the player's "torch" is the "T" key, and I had not re-assigned it.
  • My mouse clicks appeared to be slightly off in DAOC. I've heard mention that this may be caused by selecting the option to remove the window border on the main client's screen. I unselected that option, and I still had the issue. Although, I was having to manually set the windowsize back to the resolution that DAOC was running in, so that might have caused the issue to appear.
The good news is that I found out that my ISBoxer setup was a little off initially, and that was what was causing my issues with CTRL/ALT modified keys to still not be working. Once I cleared that up, ALT+keys were activating on background client windows properly.

One other item that I thought might be useful to explore:

We have a window layout to have a "primary window" spot, and we swap out each client to that spot when it's active. For a single system with 3 or 4 clients running in the background, this works pretty well. For a setup where your main character is on one PC and the other characters are on a different PC, it might be handy to have that set of 4 characters ont he other PC have an equal division of that monitor, and not swap around when being clicked on, etc. Is there a way to setup a 2x2 grid of screens that will stay in position in ISBoxer?

As always, thanks for the work so far on this. If you need/want anything tested further or more data, let me know and I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

J

JamieW
Non-Subscriber

Post by JamieW » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:34 pm

I did some investigation with the windowsnapper/layout issues.

I came to this resolution:

It looks like the character select screen for DAOC trying to force its 640x480 resolution onto you is messing with setting the appropriate main window size value.

I created a short script for my DAOC profiles that I added to the Startup configuration in IS. It reads as follows:

function main ()
{
wait 10
Snapper:SetFullSize[0,0,1680,840]
}

Obviously the 1680,840 is the height/width that I want my main region to be. I know that isboxer.iss is making this call, but I've got to think that it isn't being stored right in the windowsnapper routine. I'm not sure if there's another call in there that screws up windowsnapper to store the 640x480 resolution or not. But making this call a bit later in the game seems to be working for me.

I haven't seen a patch come down since the post above, and I haven't had a good opportunity to use IS/ISBoxer since then with all of Mythics server changes/etc. But I'll let you know if I continue to have issues.

JamieW
Non-Subscriber

Post by JamieW » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 am

Just a quick note to say that many of these issues persist:

The key re-assignment continues to happen for that particular key assignment in DAOC ("Stick"). It doesn't matter that I've re-assigned it to a key-combination (SHIFT-S) other than it now re-assigns to (SHIFT-ESC) instead of just ESC.

There is also the problem of the game interpretting (incorrectly) a "T" key every so often, as well as a "J" key. This generally happens while I'm holding down the "Q" key.

I've been continuing to use my script to reset the windowsnapper, although this becomes cumbersome when using different window layouts.
I've also noticed that my main screen resets to 0,0 (top left) position after I swap it out the first time. I'm unsure if this is related or if this is a problem similar to what I experienced initially with LOTRO.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi everyone, this thread is 2 years old and does not reflect the current state of DAOC support in Inner Space. There are no currently-known issues with DAOC. If you have a problem with DAOC in Inner Space, please report it as a new issue.

Thanks!