Regression Bug with EQ1, relay keys etc no longer works

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Majin
GamingTools Subscriber

Regression Bug with EQ1, relay keys etc no longer works

Post by Majin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:16 am

Hi,

i havent used innerspace since nov last year, it auto updated to the latest version, and i have a few major issues now.

- I have 2 EQ Sessions, i can no longer easily switch between them with alt tab - when i alt tab, i see my desktop and on the tray the other eq window is active, but to really see it i have to press alt+enter everytime - EQ is internally still configured for window mode - i havent changed anything here

- My script to enable relaying of keys from one instance to the other no longer works - it gets executed but the bindings do not reach the second instance - example:

Code: Select all

bind f5 "F5" relay is2 press "alt+2"
	bind f6 "F6" relay is2 press "alt+3"
	bind f7 "F7" relay is2 press "alt+4"
  bind f8 "F8" relay is2 press "alt+5"
  bind f9 "f9" relay is2 press "alt+6"
- There is still the odd issue that to use 2 instances i have to go to the char selection screen on both instances first, before i enter the world - when i try to login/select/load world one instance first, the other will only get so far as char select and the screen stays black - and i cannot tab into/fullscreen it anymore - it wont load

- I tried to recreate my old setup now with the isboxer set - its the same issue - i enabled and disabled the window manager - because it didnt work anyway for me

I have to say im using an older EQ client (which i know is not officially supported) for the SoD freeshard, but as i said it was all working perfectly last year in november - seems to be related to the updates?

Thanks

Majin
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Majin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:17 am

oh yeah i forgot - i of course activated the eq specific settings like keep in forground and the reposition/minimize fix

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:31 am

- I have 2 EQ Sessions, i can no longer easily switch between them with alt tab - when i alt tab, i see my desktop and on the tray the other eq window is active, but to really see it i have to press alt+enter everytime - EQ is internally still configured for window mode - i havent changed anything here
Alt+Enter is the key combination to toggle between full screen and windowed mode... Don't know what to tell you about that. The only related change is that for EQ1, IS used to automatically virtualize the eqclient.ini files on a per-IS profile basis. As this was inconsistent with IS behavior for every other game, and confused new people, this was removed. So when you used to play, it would have been using eqclient-EverQuest No Patch.ini for example instead of eqlient.ini, which it is now using. ISBoxer can set up such a virtual file for you.
- There is still the odd issue that to use 2 instances i have to go to the char selection screen on both instances first, before i enter the world - when i try to login/select/load world one instance first, the other will only get so far as char select and the screen stays black - and i cannot tab into/fullscreen it anymore - it wont load
This isn't an issue with the software, it would be an issue with your video card and your limited amount of texture memory. EQ used to crash in that circumstance, I'm surprised you are seeing something different than that ;)
- I tried to recreate my old setup now with the isboxer set - its the same issue - i enabled and disabled the window manager - because it didnt work anyway for me
What issue -- about logging both in?
I have to say im using an older EQ client (which i know is not officially supported) for the SoD freeshard, but as i said it was all working perfectly last year in november - seems to be related to the updates?
All I can do is guarantee that the live server works. I don't know the answer to this question because I don't have the SoD client. I'd be happy to refund your payment, but your bindings will probably work fine if you use ISBoxer Key Maps and enable the "Hold" option, which will hold the keys for the other windows as long as you hold the bind.

Majin
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Majin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 am

Lax wrote:

Alt+Enter is the key combination to toggle between full screen and windowed mode... Don't know what to tell you about that. The only related change is that for EQ1, IS used to automatically virtualize the eqclient.ini files on a per-IS profile basis. As this was inconsistent with IS behavior for every other game, and confused new people, this was removed. So when you used to play, it would have been using eqclient-EverQuest No Patch.ini for example instead of eqlient.ini, which it is now using. ISBoxer can set up such a virtual file for you.
Yes i setup virtual files and used my old configuration for these, no problem with that - i know that alt+enter normally refers to fullscreen mode - but why cant i just alt tab like i used to ? seems that when i alt tab, eq gets minimized - so thats the reason i always have to use alt+enter again. The instance switch keys wont work too, but they didnt work last year either so i dont care about that.
This isn't an issue with the software, it would be an issue with your video card and your limited amount of texture memory. EQ used to crash in that circumstance, I'm surprised you are seeing something different than that ;)
Mhh ok, i thought gtx260 with 765mb should be enough..
What issue -- about logging both in?
The issue that i first need to alt+tab and then alt+enter to switch windows, the window manager doesnt even work i.e. there is no PiP or anything.
All I can do is guarantee that the live server works. I don't know the answer to this question because I don't have the SoD client. I'd be happy to refund your payment, but your bindings will probably work fine if you use ISBoxer Key Maps and enable the "Hold" option, which will hold the keys for the other windows as long as you hold the bind.
I will try out the isboxer key maps with the hold option and see if it fixed that - along that - is there any other way that i can switch instances with alt+tab without needing to alt+enter again?

Thanks

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:57 am

Yes i setup virtual files and used my old configuration for these, no problem with that - i know that alt+enter normally refers to fullscreen mode - but why cant i just alt tab like i used to ? seems that when i alt tab, eq gets minimized - so thats the reason i always have to use alt+enter again. The instance switch keys wont work too, but they didnt work last year either so i dont care about that.
If EQ1 is minimizing when you alt+tab out, and the session switch keys dont work, then the game is in full screen mode. This would probably also be why your binds weren't working.
Mhh ok, i thought gtx260 with 765mb should be enough..
Yeah, it should be enough. Perhaps it is a driver issue then?

Majin
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Majin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 am

If EQ1 is minimizing when you alt+tab out, and the session switch keys dont work, then the game is in full screen mode. This would probably also be why your binds weren't working.
i see, but it used to work - because in eq options fullscreen is disabled - i thought the innerspace eq fullscreen was just emulated somehow - or is it just impossible to keybindings while being in fullscreen mode at all? regardless of using ixboxer with keybindings or scripts?

come to think of it, i believe i let the second eq instance run only in windowed mode were i relayed all keys to, maybe it works when i have 1 fullscreen and the other windowed?
Yeah, it should be enough. Perhaps it is a driver issue then?
winxp with latest drivers, but i dont bother to much with it, the workaround that i have to go to the char select for both instances isnt that bad

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

i see, but it used to work - because in eq options fullscreen is disabled - i thought the innerspace eq fullscreen was just emulated somehow - or is it just impossible to keybindings while being in fullscreen mode at all? regardless of using ixboxer with keybindings or scripts?

come to think of it, i believe i let the second eq instance run only in windowed mode were i relayed all keys to, maybe it works when i have 1 fullscreen and the other windowed?
Ideally, neither of them would be in full screen mode, and it would work fine. IS does not interfere with the game's normal windowing/full screen mode behavior unless you configure it to "Force Windowed". You can technically use that option in your IS profile for the game, and perhaps using this option will confuse you less because neither will be in full screen. If the background window is in full screen mode, and therefore minimized, then you will not be able to interact with it until it is brought to the foreground again, ISBoxer or not. (note that ISBoxer is just configuring binds, etc for you)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 am

I have to say, it sounds like perhaps the window position for windowed mode is off screen, and maybe this is why you can't see it until you hit alt+enter to make it full screen. EQ stores the window position in eqclient.ini.
In the Defaults section of eqclient.ini for example:

Code: Select all

WindowedModeXOffset=-3
WindowedModeYOffset=-13
WindowedMode=TRUE
If you were using a window layout and were switching between full screen and windowed, that could have helped mess things up too.

fearless
Non-Subscriber

Post by fearless » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:32 pm

I have an issue with my video drivers and the 'browser' function of EQ. When EQ started the force the browser open when you logged in, all I get is a black screen.

I ended up having to change DetectWelcomeFailure=0 to 1 to turn the browser off in order to function at all.

Something to check.