Question for Lax regarding KOTOR II

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

xxxWickedxxx
GamingTools Subscriber

Question for Lax regarding KOTOR II

Post by xxxWickedxxx » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi again Lax,
Any news on the Knights of the Old Republic compatability? It shows up on the list of compatible games but for the life of me I havent been able to get it to work.

I know I had asked you this last week and you said it was due to OpenGL and on your list to do but I'm just curious if there is anything I can do and / or is there an extention I can use for this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. (Then I can get my g/f off my back as she is pestering me for the info.)

Wicked.

xxxWickedxxx
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xxxWickedxxx » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:12 pm

Hi Lax. I did some digging into the GameDetection.XML and I found an error with the StarWars KotOR II section. Currently it is:

</Game>
- <Game Name="Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast">
<Executable>JediOutcast.exe</Executable>
- <Detection>
<FileExists Filename="C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast" />
</Detection>
- <Detection>
<RegistryKey Key="HKLM" SubKey="SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\1.0" Value="Install Path" />
</Detection>
</Game>

I believe it should read as below as the previous path and exe were not correct.

</Game>
- <Game Name="Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast">
<Executable>swkotor2.exe</Executable>
- <Detection>
<FileExists Filename="CC:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2" />
</Detection>
- <Detection>
<RegistryKey Key="HKLM" SubKey="SOFTWARE\LucasArts\KotOR2" Value="Path" />
</Detection>
</Game>

Also when I edit it, it just re-downloads the original version and of course then it wont work.

Any advice?

Wicked

xxxWickedxxx
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xxxWickedxxx » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:48 pm

I shouldnt have said "error" as the current setting is for the other Star Wars App but when you do pull down the profile you only see the "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II".

I have been trying to get it to work with "StarWars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords".

It shows as a compatible game but for whatever reason I cant get it to work.

Anyway sorry for so many posts.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:24 pm

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is a different game than Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Game detection is set up so you can use any number of game detection XML files. The GameDetection.XML is the one the patcher gives you, and if you change it, well, it'll just download it again. If you want to use a custom game detection file, you can specify it in InnerSpace.XML. However, there is no problem with the game detection.

It is in fact due to being an OpenGL game, which is currently broke, and is still on my list of things to do. Due to there only being a few popular OpenGL games, it simply hasnt been at the top of the list of things to do, and nobody really brings it up. People are pushing me from every direction for various features and bug fixes, and I just have to prioritize them.

xxxWickedxxx
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xxxWickedxxx » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Lax. If this would take you more then a few minutes then dont bother. My g/f has been using IS for most of her games and was asking me about KOTOR. Anyway thanks again. Also I sent you an email regarding IS in general.

-Wicked

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:02 pm

It's a good 12 hours of work minimum to get OpenGL support back to being close to where Direct3D8 and 9 support are at. The time commitment is pretty much the only reason it hasn't been fixed yet (fewer games, larger time commitment, means lower priority than something that takes a short time and affects a lot of games)

Anyway, it WILL get done, relatively soon. My list of things to implement or fix has been getting much shorter.

xxxWickedxxx
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xxxWickedxxx » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Thanks Lax. As I said though its not a big deal on this end. If its something you already had planned then awsome. But don't spend the 12 plus hours on it if you think its just for this one game. Thats too much of a waste on your valuable time. Out of curiosity do you know of any other games that use OpenGL? I would have thought it would be obsolete by now.

Best Regards.