Console CLI

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

don'tdoit
Non-Subscriber

Console CLI

Post by don'tdoit » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:40 am

Hi Lax,

Was wondering if your todo list has a section on how to make the CLI better for the console. I did some searching/reading and only saw a suggestion about copy/paste the text from the console, but I have some suggestions.

1. Repeat Rate for keys. By this I especially mean allowing the backspace to repeat as it's held down, rather than having to manually hit backspace for each character.

2. Better command history. History exists, but it retains changes to a line rather than creating a new entry. For example if I type in "echo hi", then shift up "echo hi" will be there, which is good. What's not good is if I edit that "echo hi" line to read "echo hello", the new line replaces the first in the history when it would be better to add it.

3. Allowing Home, End, arrow keys (left and right) and the "Shift+" variants in the CLI to edit lines (so we don't have to backspace the whole thing or start anew).

Thanks for your time!

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:31 pm

All good suggestions, and I have been wanting them myself also. Unfortunately the ability to use home/end/arrow keys/etc in the CLI means I have to make a visible cursor, which is actually the only reason that isn't currently available ;)