Adding games and profiles

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

eqjoe
GamingTools Subscriber

Adding games and profiles

Post by eqjoe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:38 am

Ok... say I want to add a game... What all is needed?

Add the game, set the path to the game executable, setup a default profile... what else?

-j

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:11 am

Best to look at how the others are set up. The "game" options describe the game's systems, and the "profile" options describe where the game is located and any special options like the ability to force windowed mode.

Currently, Direct3D8 and Direct3D9 are supported. DirectInput (all versions) are theoretically supported through the same IS setting. EQ is the only game I have tested that uses DirectInput for keyboard and mouse, everything else pretty much uses Win32I, and a few here and there use HooksI (these are by no means official names for the systems, just what we categorize them as).

If you were to add EverQuest 1, for example, you would enter the following commands:
games -add EverQuest
game EverQuest -set Direct3D8 1
game EverQuest -set Direct3D9 1
game EverQuest -set "DirectInput8 Keyboard" 1
game EverQuest -set "DirectInput8 mouse" 1
game EverQuest -set modules "eqgame.exe,testeqgame.exe,eqmain.dll,testeqmain.dll,eqgraphicsdx9.dll,eqgfx_dx8.dll"
games -save
profiles -add "EverQuest Default Profile"
profile "EverQuest Default Profile" -set game EverQuest
profile "EverQuest Default Profile" -set path "c:\Path\To\EverQuest"
profile "EverQuest Default Profile" -set executable "everquest.exe"
profiiles -save

Then EQ would immediately be available. If the game you want to add doesnt use DirectInput (and again, it's most likely using Win32I), you might want:
game xxxx -set "Win32I Keyboard" 1
game xxxx -set "Win32I Mouse" 1

To force games into a window:
profile xxxx -set "Force Window" 1

I'll have info on this in the IS manual, which I'm working on creating (not the text file version).. and there will be a UI window to help also

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:59 am

The UI for this is basically complete, just need to set up descriptions for each of the different settings. It looks and feels like the WinEQ 2 preferences system, but slightly different. For example, the window is resizable, which was not possible in WinEQ. Also, the tree control allows you to edit the names of game/profiles, as well as the ability to use "insert" to add/copy and "delete" to remove them. The OK and Apply buttons automatically save the changes to file and forces all open sessions to reload them for synchronization (almost all of the settings are only effective at startup though).

Should be easy enough.