IPs and locations - clarification is needed

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Snape
GamingTools Subscriber

IPs and locations - clarification is needed

Post by Snape » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 am

Right now I'm using one external ip for both my comps. I want to buy another static IP. Our proxy provider sells dedicated IPs from the same subnet (i.e. they differ in the last octet only). According to IS licence, I may use it from a single location only. So the question is: may I launch 2 instances of IS from the same physical location, but running on comps with different IPs (from the same subnet)?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

This question is surprisingly common. I'll answer in detail so maybe someone else will benefit from the same response, but to you specifically -- no that sounds fine ;)

The policy is, specifically:
Single accounts may be shared by up to 5 computers (or virtual machines) at the same physical location (i.e. residence).
There is no way you or I can resolve a specific IP to a specific physical location. (Perhaps you realized this already.) The physical location rule relies somewhat on the honor system, and is not automagically enforced -- it is manually enforced. I will of course use your IP information as part of my manual review. For example, if you have one that is obviously in Florida and one is obviously in Canada, I would rule out the same physical location and likely block one of the two.

Similarly, there is no restriction on how many IPs you might use the software from. Some people get a new IP every day from their ISP. Some people have more than one internet connection to their home.

Travel scenarios are also common and just fine. I have people ask me if it's okay to travel with your laptop. Yes, yes it is. The system would see your same software install logging in from a different IP (and location). :)

I'm an internet guy, I've had all different kinds of internet in 3 (US) states, I play games online, I travel from time to time with my laptops, I get it. The policy is not here to make it inconvenient for you to use my software (on up to 5 PCs or VMs at the same physical location), it is simply here to protect me. You could say that these rules are actually pretty lax. 8)

Snape
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Snape » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:22 am

Thanks for a detailed answer!

And, well, if ppl ask alike questions rather often, maybe it would be a good idea to compile some FAQ out of them?