Extension Development

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

spoulsen
GamingTools Subscriber

Extension Development

Post by spoulsen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:47 am

I am thinking of getting into the extension development for new upcoming games. I have spent some going through the documentation and have a good idea on how to build an extension and support new commands. I am also experienced with hacking programs using SoftIce and/or VisualStudio and/or hex editors.

My question are:

- Is there a preferred way to "hack" a program in an extension. What I am referring to is memory reading, writing, and/or calling functions to read/write game specific data (HP, Mana, ...)

- Does Innerspace provide any console tools to make finding these locations easier?

I am assuming the method to find these locations in memory is the same as the old days and that Innerspace provides some memory read/write functions to safely handle the memory in a non-detectable way.

Many thanks

Unchayned
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Unchayned » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 am

You'll find all of your answers at the ismods.com forums, with the caveat that you'll have to do quite a bit of searching and playing connect-the-dots to figure it out. The ISXDK sources provide a good reference, and the "genhack" extension released there in source form has everything you'd need to get started using IS as a tool for finding memory offsets, as well as some of the other things you've mentioned.

Most of the game-specific extension development has thus-far followed a closed or nearly-closed source model, but culling the early forum posts should give you a good idea of what an extension "should look like" if you've already got a fairly good idea of what you're doing, and it sounds like you do.

spoulsen
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by spoulsen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Many thanks!!