EQLindows Broken after Oct 4 Patch

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

toad
Non-Subscriber

EQLindows Broken after Oct 4 Patch

Post by toad » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:56 pm

In windows XP the mouse cursor would lag and jump across the screen causing a massive slow down on the computer, but EQ would load, just unplayable.

In Windows Vista, EQLindows does not even load to the EULA screen

eqvivid
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by eqvivid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi,
i get the problem that if i use my second monitor. Both screens are just unplayable and the mouse updates only once per second. If i drag the snd window back into the first window all speeds up and returns back to normal.
Oh and i got the graphic back once i disabled the advanced lighting, but it was mentioned already in another thread.
I hope you will get this fixed soon, had to copy the eq directory to box atm. Keep it up guys.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:11 pm

i get the problem that if i use my second monitor. Both screens are just unplayable and the mouse updates only once per second. If i drag the snd window back into the first window all speeds up and returns back to normal.
Yeah, you can't do that. If you drag a 3D accelerated window to another display, it's not going to be 3D accelerated by the hardware anymore... it's going to be 3D accelerated by software. And that's going to be a whole lot slower. And since it's using your CPU instead of the GPU, it's going to slow down the rest of your computer. However, if you switch to Vista you may get lucky and it'll work (it does for me, but I've read it still isn't supported).

but I'm working on the lighting issue.

Kryai
Non-Subscriber

Post by Kryai » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Why was this disabled in WinXP? I use 2 monitors and this essentially makes WinEQ2 useless with this feature. Is this is a root cause of EQ itself and I'm misunderstanding or was this purposely done to cripple the useage of 2 monitors with WinEQ2?

I'm running a quad core machine with plenty of CPU power available and it still is not playable at all.

Can you explain a bit more about this change and if possible how to revert back to the old version of which I've used for 4+ years?

eqvivid
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by eqvivid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Lax wrote: Yeah, you can't do that. If you drag a 3D accelerated window to another display, it's not going to be 3D accelerated by the hardware anymore... it's going to be 3D accelerated by software. And that's going to be a whole lot slower. And since it's using your CPU instead of the GPU, it's going to slow down the rest of your computer. However, if you switch to Vista you may get lucky and it'll work (it does for me, but I've read it still isn't supported).

but I'm working on the lighting issue.
Well since i joined i play with both monitors, so it can' t be so easy. It first accured after this patch and i am not the only one who is getting this "bug". I did copy the EQ directory and..suprise...same problem without using Win EQ, if I drag the main screen on snd monitor. It' s definitly since the patch and it was surely done by SOE.

Kryai
Non-Subscriber

Post by Kryai » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:27 pm

I tried it with the default EQ client and I had some lag but significantly less than with WinEQ2. It was comparable to what I had before i went to it. When in focus though on the second monitor or the first I have no lag whatsoever on any window no matter where it is.

With WinEQ2 I have low frame rate at all times.

I have found a ghetto work around via setting my primary monitor to the other one before i load the window, and cycling through them until all windows are running at full power as before.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:34 am

If it ever worked like that at all for you guys, you should be happy that it did. But it's not really a "bug" if it doesn't work, sorry... :( That's why WinEQ provides the option per profile of selecting the display you want the window to appear on.

If dragging the window to another monitor is that important to you, then you might want to try installing the utilities that NVIDIA or ATI/AMD (depending on your video card) provide for it.

From ATI/AMD, the software is Hydravision: http://ati.amd.com/products/Hydravision/index.html
From NVIDIA, the software is nView, and is apparently installed with the ForceWare drivers, you just need to enable spanning or something in the NVIDIA control panel.

If the above is incorrect at all I apologize, and I don't know the steps to follow to get it working, because it's not something that I've ever wanted to do (given that it may degrade performance, and given that it's easy enough for me to use a profile for the primary display, and another profile for the secondary display)

Kryai
Non-Subscriber

Post by Kryai » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:06 pm

Thank Lax I'm going to check this out right now

eqvivid
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by eqvivid » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:51 am

Well, todays' s update did it. All back to normal. Thanks for the hard work and fast fix.
Keep it going guys ! *cheer*

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:21 pm

So an update to wineq2 allows you to play on both monitors again?

As a note, my problem with XP was the dual monitor problem. But Vista still had a different issue. Any idea on that?

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:29 pm

Any update coming for the vista problem?