WoW - Causes BSOD on ntfs.sys

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

G00DFe77a
GamingTools Subscriber

WoW - Causes BSOD on ntfs.sys

Post by G00DFe77a » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:49 am

I tried to turn on the auto expand option for WoW and it caused a BSOD on ntfs.sys

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:55 am

Sounds like you have bigger problems on your system... ntfs is the file system, not something we can possibly cause a blue screen in.

G00DFe77a
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by G00DFe77a » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:01 am

I would normally agree with you, but this is the first time I have seen this occur on my system and it was at at the exact moment when I tried to turn on the auto expand option.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:42 am

Don't know what else to tell you, but there's no possible way for it to be directly related to WinEQ.

If you're using a SATA hard drive, make sure you have the latest SATA drivers for your system. Likewise, if you're using RAID, make sure you have the latest RAID drivers for your system. Make sure Windows has all of the critical updates, check for BIOS updates, chipset drivers, etc.

Pros
Non-Subscriber

Post by Pros » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:31 pm

Just had same thing happen to me as orginal poster something going on

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:36 am

Sure, both of you need to check your drivers... First of all, the code used for this has not changed in several months, and if there was a legitimate issue there would be many more posts. Secondly, it uses standard file handling, and standard window handling, and this issue would have to be directed at Microsoft if any of these things were causing blue screens. Third, I went ahead and tested it just for fun, and no crash.

On the other hand, it does seem odd that two people would report the issue in a short amount of time. This would lead me to believe that something new both of you have may be involved, possibly a virus or spyware, or possibly hardware. Which I have absolutely no information about either of your systems, particularly not anything about whether you are using RAID, or if you are using SATA or IDE drives, what motherboard, etc. Without such information, there's no way I can guess why you would be receiving filesystem crashes... but again, drivers and BIOS are your best bet.