All words are distorted on resizing

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

JohnTremere
GamingTools Subscriber

All words are distorted on resizing

Post by JohnTremere » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:50 pm

I have 2 machines on win xp that I upgrade to windows home premium, I can read the fonts and words fine in fullscreen, when i drag to resize smaller they all distorted and messed up looking you can make anything out. I have a pro subscription. My resolution size matches my desktop, normalise has been toggled on and and off and so has windowd and fullscreen on the eq side. the only difference in both these machines running wineq 2.15 pro was windows 7.. anyone know whats going on?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:32 am

Someone recently made nearly this exact same claim regarding EVE Online, Windows XP vs 7, using ISBoxer rather than WinEQ 2. (For reference: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6901)

But I don't have enough information to specifically answer your question as to how you managed to make it look different in XP than in Windows 7. Or his.

The thing is, when you shrink the window it's losing pixels. If you want a shrunk window and no lost pixels, you need the game's resolution to match the window size. You can't tell the game to render full screen, and then shrink it from full screen, and expect it to not lose any information. If I had to guess, your EQ resolution probably matched the WinEQ 2 window size under XP, and it doesn't under Windows 7, and making it match will probably solve the problem.

JohnTremere
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by JohnTremere » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks for the link laax, yes the problem is id is extremly similar if not dead on.. but i still dont understand how xp was able to resize without changin my resolution with clear legible font and win 7 does not.

if i redo the screen size, i have to move all my ui boxes around and really that was the selling point of win eq 2. i could tab out, tile and resize the window to watch a movie etc and still see and read whats going on in my game. Itll sadden me if this isnt patched somehow.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 am

Ummm... okay... I don't think there's anything to patch (particularly nothing in my software.. also, people have been switching from XP to Windows 7 for something like 3 years now..)

And I still have no further information (or screenshots) about your previous or current configurations in order to try to assist you. I don't even know what sizes you are changing the window from/to, but if it's not the same aspect ratio as the original you're going to lose more pixels in one direction than the other and it WILL be impossible to read text. If you can manage to keep the game rendering the same aspect ratio, then you have the best chance at reading the text.

If you are correct and you have everything exactly the same as before (given that I cannot verify that you are correct), then the only possible answer is that between your video drivers and Direct3D9, it is performing a lower quality scaling operation on Windows 7 than on Windows XP to match the display to the window size. I don't believe this is the case...

Try updating your video drivers?

The best thing you can do for me if you need more help is to get me WinEQ 2's "System Info", generate it while you have the unreadable text. Do it from WinEQ 2's in-game context menu (shift+right click, Generate system info). If nothing else, this will specifically tell me your screen resolution, the game resolution, and the window size so I can tell you why it looks bad ;)

JohnTremere
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by JohnTremere » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 am

ill be glad to assist u with that but itll have to wait a week or 2 due to my relocation but i will be back. and ty again in advance

durew
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by durew » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:43 pm

I just installed Windows 7, and found the solution to the blurry text is to turn off Windows Cleartype Text

Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust ClearType Text -> Turn Off

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:29 am

Thanks for sharing your solution, that makes sense. :)

kool24
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by kool24 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 am

Hmm didn't work for me.. what else can i do.. the screen has to be pretty big for me to read it.

kool24
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by kool24 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:18 am

Saying the resolution has to be same size as I'm making the windows?

Kinda confused about this.

Have always had the problem though.