CPU Affinity Control

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

jimlavish
GamingTools Subscriber

CPU Affinity Control

Post by jimlavish » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:26 am

Hi,

One of the biggest issues when playing EQ2 on a multicore machine is that it hogs CPU core 0. Unfortunately this means it is using the same core as many of the system processes.

In WinEQ 2.0 there is an option for "Set CPU Affinity". I am not sure what this setting is supposed to achieve, but no matter which EQ2 window I have open, CPU core 0 is hammered constantly at 70-100% and the other cores are hardly used. Surely one window should be using core 0 and the other window using a different core?

What I really want to do is stop EQ2 using core 0 completely, but there doesn't seem to be any options for that.

(Note - please do not suggest using ISBoxer as a solution!)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:16 am

(Note - please do not suggest using ISBoxer as a solution!)
Is there a reason for that? Does ISBoxer not provide something you use with WinEQ 2? Are you under the false impression that using ISBoxer is against the rules? (it's not, but note that if that's what you're trying to avoid, you can just not use the broadcasting features of ISBoxer)

If you'd rather use WinEQ 2 thats fine but WinEQ 2 does not have a solution for this particular EQ2 problem. EQ2 continuously changes the CPU affinity to the first core as far as I know; this is something that was specifically addressed in ISBoxer.

jimlavish
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by jimlavish » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:02 am

EQ2 continuously changes the CPU affinity to the first core as far as I know
Wow, that's worse than I thought.

jimlavish
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by jimlavish » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:06 am

P.S. I don't want to buy ISBoxer, because I have WinEQ 2 Pro up until May next year, and I don't want to spend money again until that expires. (I only just bought WinEQ 2 - I didn't even know ISBoxer existed until reading the forums).

jimlavish
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by jimlavish » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:56 am

P.P.S. After a bit of searching, I found this free program which solves my CPU affinity problem:

http://coreaffinity.megabyet.net/coreaffinity.htm

fearless
Non-Subscriber

Post by fearless » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 am

jimlavish wrote:P.S. I don't want to buy ISBoxer, because I have WinEQ 2 Pro up until May next year, and I don't want to spend money again until that expires. (I only just bought WinEQ 2 - I didn't even know ISBoxer existed until reading the forums).
Your WinEQ subscription includes ISBoxer. There is not a seperate license required.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:33 am

What fearless said. All Lavish products fall under the same subscription, you're subscribed to everything we provide. ISBoxer itself is free software that configures Inner Space, which requires only the subscription you already have.

jimlavish
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by jimlavish » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:25 am

Ok cool. I might try it out sometime.