Graphics bug in WinEQ2 running Windows 7 Home Premium

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

jdpatt
GamingTools Subscriber

Graphics bug in WinEQ2 running Windows 7 Home Premium

Post by jdpatt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 am

Hi,

I noticed this under the beta and RC versions of Windows 7, and assumed it was a driver issue or pre-release bug. After upgrading to the retail version, it's still there. I posted on the EQPlayers forums and another person said he had the same issue, but only when using WinEQ2.

My graphics are buggy. The text in the chat windows is broken up, missing random pixels, making things hard to read. The PCs and NPCs are also buggy, missing detail and sometimes just colored outlines or shadows. I'm only having this problem in Windows 7, I didn't in Vista or XP.

A poster on the EQPlayers forums suggested it was caused by running EQ in a non-native resolution, but both my desktop and EQ are set to run in 1920X1200, which is the native resolution on my monitors.

My computers are both Core 2 Quad, 8GB of RAM, using Radeon 4850 512mb graphiccs cards, so I don't think my hardware is the problem...it's not cutting edge, but it's fairly high end (it was awesome a year ago, but you know how that goes...).

Thanks for any insight you can offer, I'm about stumped.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:00 pm

The only reason I'm aware of that this will happen is if you're running in windowed mode at your desktop resolution, AND the option "Dont Normalize" (in the WinEQ 2 preferences this is under EverQuest, General) is set to ON. By default this option is OFF, which corrects this issue. This is a WinEQ 2 Pro feature (not available in Lite)

What is actually happening is the game drops the resolution by a few pixels, and this is most obvious when viewing text, such as in the chat window -- you will notice it is squished.

bandoslav
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by bandoslav » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm having a similar problem with screwy text but it is screwy the moment I choose full screen emulation with the EULA and on into the game. If I play windowed, it's fine.

I just upgraded to windows 7 pro, and I did not have this issue on xp pro. I've dorked around with preferences, and changing the "dont normalize" to ON just makes the windowed modes have the same problem with the pixelated & unreadable small text. With this setting on OFF it's fine until I go to full screen emulation.