Windows 7, strange memory report

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

ronis
GamingTools Subscriber

Windows 7, strange memory report

Post by ronis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:25 am

Ok, Ill start by saying that I know Win7 RC isnt a production ready OS yet and will have alot of refinements coming over the next months. However, I noticed some unusual Video Memory reports from WinEQ2 Pro that had me somewhat concerned when playing EQ1. I dont think this is a WinEQ issue but Im buying a new computer very soon and Win7 would be the new OS, so any feedback would be appreciated. Ive been using Win7x64 for 4 days now (for reference).

Im using a 1024 MB GTX 280 video card and under win7 (which does register the video card with 1024 MB) I load 1 instance of EQ to the EULA screen and the WinEQ2 memory meter shows 471 MB of video memory remaining. Logging 1 account all the way into a zone results in the memory meter displaying 409 MB remaining. Repeating this process for a total of 6 accounts results in the following readings:

#2) 417 MB remaining
#3) 420 MB remaining
#4) 419 MB remaining
#5) 415 MB remaining
#6) 417 MB remaining

Interestingly, each instance shows the listed #s memory independantly and not the expected global remaining memory (ie instance #2 always shows 417 when its the active window and instance #3 always shows 420 when its the active window) - to say it another way, each instance does not appear to be reducing the amount of video ram and each instance is reporting a different amount of video ram remaining.

I did the same test under XP Pro (same characters in the same zones) and got the following results:

EULA Screen 1315 MB Video RAM
#1) 1241 MB remaining
#2) 1174 MB remaining
#3) 1108 MB remaining
#4) 1033 MB remaining
#5) 954 MB remaining
#6) 847 MB remaining

Additionally, after loading each instance, ALL INSTANCES show the same video memory remaining (as expected).

Im pretty sure Lax previously stated that WinEQ2Pro only showed what directX reported to it, but I was hoping for some insight or assistance. It does not matter if I have an AERO theme on or off as Ive tested both scenarios (which was my first guess). If this is a glitch and Im fine, I can live with it as I havent run out of video ram and Win7 is actually quite nice.

Oh, 1 last thing: Ive noticed in Win7 RC that if I open an IE while playing EQ1, I get a west bug phenomenon, except that its 100% of the terrain in every direction and is irrecoverable. However, using an already open IE window does not produce this phenomenon. Again, I dont think its WinEQ but Ill throw it out there as a strange experience I noticed and if anyone has a solution or thoughts about it any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

(Im not on my gaming computer ATM, so I cant post my logs/txts).
Ron

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 am

I'm going to say that both things you're bringing up are driver related.

The texture memory thing is largely irrelevant, but definitely interesting. Apparently your Windows 7 driver is reporting it differently to DirectX than your Windows XP driver. I wouldn't worry about it. Windows 7 might be virtualizing it per instance of the application, and this could be related to Windows 7's use of 3d acceleration for the desktop.

The "west bug" is a long-standing tradition in EQ1. It wouldn't be EQ1 without it! Hats off to you for finding a way to enable this feature! . . . I would see if there's a video driver update. If not, then you're probably SOL on this one

ronis
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by ronis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks Lax, I feel better about possibly using Win7 on my new computer. Did you still need me to post my log/txts.

BTW, I still love WinEQ2 Pro and am always telling guildmates to get and use it (the topic of boxing seems to always come up). I cant believe there are people out there who still prefer ALT+TAB.

Ron

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:44 am

No, from your descriptions I don't think the sysinfo.txt or logs will help identify the problem, other than perhaps indicating your video driver version.

ronis
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by ronis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:08 am

thanks again lax.