One question

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

sblazick
GamingTools Subscriber

One question

Post by sblazick » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Ok, seriously, can someone dummy it down to the idiot version. I have read the explanation on the Wineq2.0 manual, on the help it gives you in the program and here and still am clueless. So here are my questions :

1. What exactly is CPU limiter and FPS limiter? I dont know what I should set them to but mostly I have no clue wha they do.

2. Does EQplaynice factor in EQ2 settings at all?

2. I run a single core Sempron 3400+ with 3 gigs of Ram, GeForce 8500 GT video card on a 1680X1050 monitor. I run 2 instances of EQ2. I am not sure what settings are best or how to determine it.

3. Under "Everquest 2 -> Window Presets -> Normal" - Should i set my width and Heigth to 1680 width and 1050 heigth, or keep ait at 0, 0 and set full screen to on? Will it make a framerate difference?

4. The smaller my EQ2 windows are in comparison to my screen size the better framerate I will get. Is this true or false?

5. Does using PiP slow down the framerate?

I have been wanting to know these answers for liek 4 years lol.. Thanks in advance

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:41 am

1. Each frame, WinEQ 2 gives up some amount of time in order to free up time for the rest of your PC, other game sessions, etc. If it's set to CPU Limiter, the amount of time given up is CONSTANT, so if it's set to 20, the amount of time it gives up each frame will be 1/20th of a second (50ms), and since the game takes up some amount of time, this means the framerate will be somewhat less than 20 FPS. With FPS Limiter, the amount of time given up is CALCULATED based on the framerate, to try to meet the exact FPS number you give it. If the game is not getting less than the desired FPS, the amount of time it gives up may be as close to 0ms as possible.

2. EQPlayNice is EQ1 only. And no, the CPU/FPS Limiter settings don't know whether the game itself provides similar functionality.

2b. It's all personal preference. There is no "best", it's based on how you want it to perform. The default CPU/FPS settings are recommended. Background sessions at 30fps in CPU limiter mode, foreground at 40fps in FPS limiter mode. The foreground session will have higher performance, the background session(s) will give up CPU time so the foreground session can perform well. The only time you need to change it is if the background sessions are having trouble auto-following. If theyre not, then there's nothing wrong with your settings ;)

3. As far as framerate, the lower your resolution, the higher your framerate will be. EQ2 doesn't like anything less than 800x600. Leaving Normal at 0x0 size will return the size to the game's actual resolution. If you want full screen, you can use shift+alt+f and not have to change the size of shift+alt+n ;)

4. true.

5. No. Also, WinEQ 2's PiP for EQ2 will probably not look right, unless they fixed the smaller than 800x600 bug in a recent patch. Inner Space on the other hand provides working PiP for EQ2.

6. You should have asked 4 years ago? ;)

If you want higher framerate, the first thing I would be doing is setting EQ2 to "extreme performance", and then if it's not fast enough, lower the resolution.

sblazick
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by sblazick » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Ok, my 2nd toon that is in autofollow is having problems following. He like does HUGE circles and doesnt follow well at all. :(

I have :
Foreground FPS Limiter 40

Background CPU limiter 30

WHat shoudl I change to make it follow better?

sblazick
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by sblazick » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Anyone? I just want my second toon to be able to follow without aggroing everything in the zone by doing those huge circles.

Also, I am running both instances at 1024X768 and my screen is 1680X1050.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:56 pm

1. Set the background to FPS limiter mode
2. Drop foreground to 30 FPS

That should improve the framerate on the background session and hopefully stop the problem

blackwinter
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by blackwinter » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:54 pm

How about Calculate CPU time and Constant CPU time in Inner Space?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Same thing as WinEQ 2 and EQPlayNice as described in a post above:
1. Each frame, WinEQ 2 gives up some amount of time in order to free up time for the rest of your PC, other game sessions, etc. If it's set to CPU Limiter, the amount of time given up is CONSTANT, so if it's set to 20, the amount of time it gives up each frame will be 1/20th of a second (50ms), and since the game takes up some amount of time, this means the framerate will be somewhat less than 20 FPS. With FPS Limiter, the amount of time given up is CALCULATED based on the framerate, to try to meet the exact FPS number you give it. If the game is not getting less than the desired FPS, the amount of time it gives up may be as close to 0ms as possible.