Is it legal to use wineq2 or innerspace

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

eddie43302
GamingTools Subscriber

Is it legal to use wineq2 or innerspace

Post by eddie43302 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Just curious if its legal or not and can you be banned for it?

eddie43302
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by eddie43302 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:06 pm

I forgot to state this question is for using in everquest 2

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:18 pm

It depends entirely on what game or games you're asking about, whether it is a violation of their license agreements to use any particular software.

There has never been a ban for using WinEQ 2 in any of its supported games (note: Blizzard did inadvertently ban WinEQ 2 users in World of Warcraft, but immediately reversed the bans and gave those customers 2 free days on their WoW subscription). I don't think there ever will be, either.

Inner Space can indeed get you banned from various games depending on what you do with it. I don't know of any besides World of Warcraft that have banned for "vanilla" Inner Space. You usually have to be trying to do something they don't like in order to get banned, and use of Inner Space itself doesn't necessarily meet that criteria.

As far as legality, use of this type of software would be a civil, rather than criminal matter. You could not be sent to jail for having used it.

Now that I'm mostly finished with my response, I see your new post that this is about EQ2. EQ2 to my knowledge doesn't have a mechanism by which they could detect you using any particular software. So as far as the software alone, it's not going to get you in trouble. You would have to use it in such a way that it is obvious to other players and is enough of a nuisance for those players to report your behavior.