WinEQ2 and Symantec EndPoint

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

giddemore
GamingTools Subscriber

WinEQ2 and Symantec EndPoint

Post by giddemore » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:55 am

Just got Symantec endpoint pushed to my PC. It's blocking WinEQ2 when it tries to launch windows. I've only tried this with EQ1 so dunno if it effects other games.

WinEQ2 laods normally but when I launch EQ through one of my profiles it loads as if WinEQ2 isn't even there. Hotkeys, window resizing and swtiching between windows doesn't work.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Yes, been trying to find out what was causing the same issues you have and it seems to be endpoint + xp. Endpoint + vista works as it should. Removed endpoint under xp and wineq2 works again as it should, will try to find a setting or something in endpoint to make it work together.

giddemore
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by giddemore » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Yep the only way I can get WinEQ working correctly is to remove endpoint. Been playing with settings and as of yet no luck.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 am

Okay so here's the deal.

Symantec Endpoint Protection has something called "Proactive Threat Protection" which apparently can't be disabled. This is appears to include a kernel-mode injection into any process you launch, and they make some user-mode modifications to the process. The modifications confuse WinEQ 2 and prevent it from successfully attaching to the process.

I believe I can solve the issue, but only in the new generation of WinEQ, which is due in the next few weeks. WinEQ 2 unfortunately will continue to have this issue. I would say you could simply disable the proactive threat protection during launch, but they do not appear to provide a method for doing so, presumably under the context that it offers additional security from unknown threats.