WinEQ2 + XP SP3

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

WinEQ2 + XP SP3

Post by mckains » Tue May 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Does WinEQ2 work with XP Service Pack 3 or is it just me?

I've attempted to use WinEQ2 on a couple computers that are using XP + SP3 and the FPS indicator comes up but not the memory warnings or the ability to shift right-click for the menu. I dual booted into Vista and using the same folders for EQ / WinEQ2 everything seemed to work fine.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Sun May 18, 2008 11:39 am

Still wondering if anyone has WinEQ2 + Everquest + Windows XP SP3 working correctly, ie working with tiling, pip, memory info.

On both computers if I boot into Windows Vista and use the same EQ / WinEQ2 folders it works correctly.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun May 18, 2008 6:26 pm

I think I saw someone on IRC say it worked fine for them after reinstalling WinEQ under XP SP3. I have not yet tested in XP SP3 though

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 am

Hmm I'd gone through a reinstall under xp of wineq2 though had not uninstalled the previous one, the install was to a new folder as the original install to wineq2 was done under vista, but still started under xp. Come to think of it, the install on that machine of wineq2 was just a copy from a backup directory so no actuall installation procedure. I'll attempt a complete removal tomorrow and a fresh install.

This seems to have the same behaviour on the two computers in xp sp3 for me and the symptoms sound very similar to Darktree420's post. I will also look for that SysInfo.txt file too.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Mon May 19, 2008 2:16 pm

I have removed the previous wineq2 folder and did a fresh install. I am experiencing the same issues and I am not seeing a sysinfo.txt file, and am unable to bring up the wineq2 menu in everquest to generate one.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Repeated the process on the second computer, same issues. Found a third XP sp3 computer, repeated the installation and same issues.

Any news on something else to try? The SysInfo.txt file is not generated by WinEQ as the menu is not accessible as one of the issues.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Any news on a fix or something new to attempt to remedy this?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 am

I apologize for not having tested this yet, I have been very busy with unrelated issues. I will look into it as soon as possible (maybe today, I need to install SP3).

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:28 am

Checking in again if any new news on this.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:38 am

It's been over a month now and still not functioning correctly under XP SP3 for my three computers. Have you had a chance to load SP3? Can you suggest anything else to test?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 pm

I apologize for how long it's taken me to get back to you. I've extended your subscription for you.

I installed SP3 on one of my machines, and I'm not seeing the same behavior you are. It must be something else, but somehow related.

I would probably start by checking for updates to your video card drivers (note: try UNINSTALLING your old video driver first to help clean out old files that might be conflicting), and shutting down other running programs. I don't really know what else to suggest since it worked for me without trying anything different.

I imagine a lot more people have SP3 already and if WinEQ users in general were having trouble with it, they would be posting or emailing me in greater numbers. So far this is the only problem I've heard and you're the only one to post on it in over a month :( So I'm sorry but so far it sounds like it is something on your machines that isn't on mine, and it cant be SP3 alone.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Seems a bit odd as it's all three here. Is there another way to generate that system info thing besides the context menu or something similar that might be helpful to troubleshoot with?

Will try removing and reinstalling the video drivers, and also using the default windows drivers.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 pm

I agree that it's a bit coincidental that all three of yours exhibit some problem, though if your PCs were alike then it wouldn't be all that surprising either.

sysinfo.txt is automatically generated the moment when you launch a session through WinEQ. You can also right click on the game window's title bar to bring up the menu, but if it wouldn't come up one way I'm not sure why it would the other way, at least not that would have changed when installing SP3. I mean, if you had changed the shift+right click hotkey to another key, I could see that not working, and if you had disabled the memory indicator and the memory warnings, then I could see that not working too. Maybe double-check your WinEQ preferences for those things?

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:12 am

I've tried a few more things which haven't worked yet and tested after each step which involved shutting down and starting up wineq2 then loading eq.

* attempted the right click on the title bar, works in vista (neat), doesn't work in xp, verified the memory warnings have not been disabled in settings, all settings except background cpu -> fps and eq paths are defaults.
* reinstalled directx (june 2008 I believe)
* disabled all non microsoft services and all start up items via msconfig
* removed my video driver and back to xp's basic video driver
* reran directx
* installed latest driver only (ati xpress 200m)
* reran directx

I don't know if it would be useful to post a sysinfo for the computers running under vista as it seems to be an xp issue on these computers. Also wondering if it is difficult or even feasable to generate a sysinfo only program that starts generates the info an quits.

mckains
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mckains » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am

Noticed a Symantec EndPoint post and it is an application installed on all three computers I beleive. It should have been disabled during my tests will attempt to remove the application on the test machine and see how it goes.