Issue after May 7th patch

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

jackfrost
Non-Subscriber

Issue after May 7th patch

Post by jackfrost » Sat May 10, 2008 10:11 am

So I used to run 3x EQ1 sessions at a time...

Everything ran perfectly, fast windows switching, no lag, etc.

After this latest patch, a few minutes after running 3 sessions, the computer crashes. A bluescreen.

Any ideas? or do is more info needed? what info?

Thanks

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat May 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Well, a couple things.

Your blue screen isn't necessarily related to the patch -- Post hoc ergo propter hoc (the same argument is often made about WinEQ causing a problem when a WinEQ patch roughly coincides with an EQ patch -- people blame WinEQ for something EQ broke in their patch). It could very well be, but there are other factors. For example, you may have installed something else recently (e.g. windows updates), and so on.

The first thing I would do is check for video driver updates. In all likelihood, your BSOD is video card related, and driver updates are the first thing to look for. There used to be a problem, for example, with NVIDIA video cards if you had a specific option in EQ enabled (vertex shaders, specifically), and launched multiple sessions. Here's a link to our announcement about that from 2004: http://www.lavishsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=862 -- you can try disabling the vertex shaders and see if that helps as well.

If none of that helps, the next thing I would check for is overheating problems. When you launch more and more sessions, your computer and its various components are going to produce more and more heat. If any fans become clogged with dust, they will gradually slow and eventually stop, and any slowness is going to compromise the health of your PC, and potentially cause permanent damage if components overheat. Video card fans, in my experience with dozens of PCs and as a former PC technician, seem to typically last 1-2 years. Symptoms I've experienced as a result of video card fans not working include obvious graphical glitches, blue screens, system freezes, among others. So I would open up your PC case and watch the video card fan to make sure that it is spinning properly. They spin quite fast.

The BSOD screen also shows the name of the driver that crashed, for example nv4_disp would confirm that it is related to an NVIDIA video card. If you BSOD again, write down the name of the driver (typically shown in the form of a filename, such as nv4_disp.dll, Ati2dvag.dll for ATI, and so on) and either google for BSOD and the filename, and/or post it here for more information. There's also a lot of other information on the BSOD screen, such as numeric error codes (line at the top that says ***STOP) and a Microsoft name for the error, such as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, all of which help to identify the problem. For more information that might help, this page seems to provide useful information for you: Beginners Guides: Crash Recovery & The Blue Screen of Death

jackfrost
Non-Subscriber

Post by jackfrost » Mon May 12, 2008 11:55 am

Yes, you can safely ignore this lol.

Some hardware in my computer is damaged it seems.

The crash is actually an 0x00000124 message which is apparently related to one of the nvidias in the system... although since it is a 780i board, it could be related to the sound, or maybe the motherboard itself... no one seems to really know.

But whatever it was, it got worse, so now I can't even run windows...

God I hate troubleshooting hardware in a liquid cooled system. Its such a pain in the ass to get to all the parts, to switch things in and out.... I mean I basically have to slide the motherboard out to take out the 3 8800s because they are all linked together with the waterblocks.

Arrghhhh.