Affinity Request

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

ronis
GamingTools Subscriber

Affinity Request

Post by ronis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:12 pm

I know its bad to make any requests on or just after a patch day, but is there any way I can force an instance of WinEQ2 to a particular CPU core (for EQ1)?

I have asked this question before, and the response was relatively good, turning off EQs innate affinity solved alot of the problems. My main problem continues to be the WinEQ2 instances "randomly" being rotated to different CPU cores, and every 10-15s ALL WinEQ2 instances are on the same core - not bad if im 3 boxing, but 7 boxing means a 2-3s catastrophic freeze and then resuming as normal. I can take a screenshot of my task manager showing all the instances on 1 core if needed.

This problem only creeps up in the newer more highly populated zones (where the processing data per WinEQ2 instance is higher). I can do older content no problem.

Ideally, I would like to be able to prevent more than 2 WinEQ2 instances on each core (I have a quad core) that dont rotate OR manually set each WinEQ2 instance to a core and keep it there with NO rotating.

I have no idea if this is something that can easily be re-coded in WinEQ2 or if there is some other way to have my computer handle this problem (IE turning off rotating programs between cores). Ill happily take any help or advise.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 pm

I have asked this question before, and the response was relatively good, turning off EQs innate affinity solved alot of the problems. My main problem continues to be the WinEQ2 instances "randomly" being rotated to different CPU cores, and every 10-15s ALL WinEQ2 instances are on the same core - not bad if im 3 boxing, but 7 boxing means a 2-3s catastrophic freeze and then resuming as normal. I can take a screenshot of my task manager showing all the instances on 1 core if needed.
WinEQ 2 only sets the affinity once, when the session is launched, and never again. Each launch is set to a specific core, one after another. First launch will be on the first core, second on the second core, third on the third core, fourth on the fourth core, and so on up to 32. If you don't have that many cores, then it starts over from the first one. And it keeps it there.

So I don't know what to tell you on this one.

ronis
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by ronis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Lax,

thanks for the speedy response. I guess you are telling me there should be NO rotation of the WinEQ2 instances between cores then?

If thats the case, why would they be rotating (XP Pro x64) and what could I try to stop it?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:27 am

Well, like I said in my post: I don't know what to tell you on this one. If I knew why it would be rotating or what you could do to stop it, I'd have told you ;) I don't know what would be doing that to your EQ session, sorry