EQ1 - Memory Error

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Morrad
GamingTools Subscriber

EQ1 - Memory Error

Post by Morrad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:39 pm

I recently started getting a pop up error when trying to multi-box in Everquest saying:

Code: Select all

Another Direct3D device could not be created because you do not have enough video memory.
I am currently running 2x Geforce 7600 GT 256MB setup in SLI with 3gigs of system memory.

I never had the issue till now, I've been able to run 2 or three copies of EQ at the same time without much lag at all.

I was unsure if this is an indicator that some hardware might be going bad, or if its just a software glitch.

fearless
Non-Subscriber

Post by fearless » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 am

Generally this means that you are out of video memory. Please post a sysinfo.txt from when you are having this problem and we would be able to tell you more.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 am

Have you rebooted recently?

The box pops up because Direct3D returns an error code indicating that the video card does not have enough memory remaining to support another EQ session (note: this memory is not quite the same as texture memory as is displayed by WinEQ). EQ historically has ignored the error code and simply assumed that the "CreateDevice" call succeeded, and this results in a crash. WinEQ catches the error and notifies you instead of the game just crashing.

If you're running multiple EQ sessions, those sessions are going to be using up video memory for loading game textures, the backbuffer for the game window, and so on. If you've had sessions open for a while, they use more of the video card memory than when they launched. There has long been rumors that there's some sort of video memory leak in EQ (depending on your video card drivers I believe), with rebooting being the best way to clear it out.

If you run into this issue frequently, I would a) make sure you have the latest video drivers for your video card, b) make sure there are no lingering eqgame.exe processes when there's no EQ visibly running, and c) whenever possible, launch all your EQ sessions at the SAME TIME, and log them each in to character selection first, and then each of them into the game.

Morrad
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Morrad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 am

The main reason I was confused was that I had rebooted maybe thirty minutes before I started to play.

However, it decided to start working again like it used to, so I must have had a memory leak somewhere along the way.

I very much appreciate the response with suggestions on things that might have caused it.

Thanks for the awesome software.