Cannot output file xxxx (when patching)

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

evainefaye
GamingTools Subscriber

Cannot output file xxxx (when patching)

Post by evainefaye » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:37 pm

This has been going on a few weeks for me now and I'm not sure why, it only happens on one of my machines.

Anytime I fire up WinEQ2, it runs through the patcher and then I get this error about 10 times (once for each file).

"Could not output file WinEQ2-D38D.dll It May be in use. Make sure all Lavish Software products are shut down and wait 5 minutes (or reboot) before trying again. Hitting OK will cause the patcher to skip this file, but the software will try to patch it again until it is patched successfully."

Once I click through all the OK's it still runs. But it does this again if i fire up WinEQ again later.

There are no lavish software products tasks running.

Not sure whats causing this any suggestions?

evainefaye
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by evainefaye » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:36 am

I take it the lack of response means nobody knows, or nobody cares. Believe me I'm not stupid, I've tried all sorts of things to fix this, I've even uninstalled and reinstalled WinEQ which fixes it until the next time I start it up.

Lax, any input or suggestions on tracking down the cause of this one?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:47 pm

The only things I can think of, since those files are not in use when you're patching, involve
a) The file being read only (not likely)
b) Bad hard drive or related hardware
c) Need motherboard driver updates

Sorry I dont have a real definitive answer for you

Dhampir
Non-Subscriber

Post by Dhampir » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm

I am having the same issue, except mine is with WinEQ2.txt. Some times if i save the file with another name it works, some times it doesn't. But it always redown-loades the whole folder, which is kinda annoying.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Umm... yeah... "same issue", 3 years later.

If patching fails and says it cannot write the file, the most common cause today is using Windows Vista and not being an administrator. With default settings, Vista has protection on anything installed to Program Files, such that you must be an administrator to modify the files. So, the typical response to that issue would be to right click the WinEQ 2 icon and select "Run as Administrator". If that is your issue, that is your answer

However, then you say that it always re-downloads the whole folder. The way patching works is when you run WinEQ 2, it downloads a list of files and the unique signatures those files should have. If they don't match the signature, it will download each one individually. The only way it will "re-download the whole folder" is if none of the files match, or they are not there. I couldn't possibly guess what you're doing to make that happen, but it could potentially be caused by a virus on your PC, or simply by launching WinEQ 2 without some of its contents there. You're not deleting the files in your WinEQ 2 folder are you?

Dhampir
Non-Subscriber

Post by Dhampir » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm

I remove the wineq2.txt file and it runs fine, once. From reboot, started mq2, then tried wineq2. Failed with the same messege. Rebooted, then tried wineq2 first, failed. Deleted WinEQ2.txt and it worked on the 3rd try.
As of today, nod32 reports no viruses found on my system. Running Win XP pro SP3. All drivers latest versions including motherboard driver. Account has admin rights.