EQII and WinEQ2.0 - memory usage

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

madman
GamingTools Subscriber

EQII and WinEQ2.0 - memory usage

Post by madman » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:32 pm

I gave WinEQ2 + EQ II a test drive last night, and I was very impressed, worked way better than the built-in windowed mode when switching tasks. A question though: watching the WinEQ2 memory indicator I noticed that the whole combination was eating through memory like crazy.

I have 1.5 GB of ram, and in an average city zone I was below 50 MB available memory. I don't think it was a leak because zoning into the peripheric zones like Forest Ruins etc. freed up a bit (200-300 MB free), but when I was entering Qeynos again it was plummeting down to 10 MB free. Did anyone else notice that? In case it is common behaviour I guess I'm going to put my ideas of two-boxing EQ2 to an untimely rest.

ieatacid
Non-Subscriber

Post by ieatacid » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:41 pm

You're not the only one. I experience this myself and so do a lot of other people I know. I've heard, and read on the EQ2 forums, of people speaking of a possible memory leak in the game, though I don't believe anyone has confirmed it.

madman
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by madman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:46 am

Something I found out yesterday, that might help people having the same problems as I have (regarding memory usage): Setting the game textures for the environment to "Maximum" eats up an unbelievable 170-200 MB more RAM than on "High" and about 300 MB more than setting that on "medium".

I toyed around with the options, and (on a AMD 64 3200, X800 Pro, 1.5 GB Ram) setting the basic option to "Very high quality" and turning all shadows and the bloom crap off and the environment textures to "High" (instead of "maximum") I get a stable 15-20 fps in cities and 30 stable fps outside (using frame limiter of WinEQ2), which makes the game very playable and good looking. BUT this thing still has a memory footprint for about 800 MB which kills me and any hopes of two boxing unless I get 2 GB :?

madman
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by madman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:49 am

Ugh, an Edit feature would be cool ;)

Addendum: I also turned complex shaders down to 30 or so iirc. Everything else is on the setting that "Very High Quality" defaults to.

Also, there was no visible memory leaking - with the texture setting to "high" I was averaging about 250 still free MB (out of 1.5 GB, and not much else running, scary huh?)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:27 pm

Hmmm I only ever see it use about 300mb when looking in the task manager. I dunno what to tell you, but I would definitely try putting everything on the lowest settings possible just to see what kind of difference it makes. I assume you're using the latest catalyst drivers? They designed it to "work best with nvidia" so you never know if they killed it for ATI users ;) EQ1 has had issues with the X800 for quite a while also, perhaps the EQ2 team is just as bad with it?

madman
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by madman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:48 pm

300 MB?! Jeez I can't even run EQ1 at 300 MB ;). I tested it right now, after starting in North Qeynos, running a bit and entering South Qeynos I'm at 640 MB usage. And with every time I zone to a new zone it increases by 30-40 MB.

I'm getting very good performance so far though on ATI, apart from the obscenely high memory usage. I'm running on the 4.12 beta Cats (the HL2 optimized ones)