EQPlayNice sits in a patch cycle

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

HanzO
Non-Subscriber

EQPlayNice sits in a patch cycle

Post by HanzO » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:44 pm

Maybe it is just me but is anyone else in a patch loop with the latest version of EQPlayNice?

Could you look into this when you get a minute Lax? Had to end process the patcher.

Thanks.

HanzO

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:36 pm

I will look into it, I apologize for the inconvenience. You can grab WinEQ and have it integrate EQPlayNice for "All EQ Sessions" and it will act as the EQPlayNice tray program.

It might be that Lavish.dll fails to be updated because it is still in memory, I'll see what I can do to prevent that

Venthos
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Venthos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:39 am

That seems to be the issue. It has been happening for me as well.

I have WinEQ and EQPlayNice load on boot simply from having shortcuts in the "startup" menu in the start menu.

When EQPlayNice goes to patch, it gets stuck in a loop on EQPlayNice.exe, Lavish.dll, and I think EQPlayNice.dat. Things will continue to just hang in that loop as it attempts to update those files but cant. I thought it was a bug but your explination of WinEQ's integration spells it out for me.

It tries to update those files but cant, why? WinEQ is running. When I exit out of WinEQ, the patcher will then proceed to finish clean as WinEQ isn't holding onto those files and it can actually "update" them. But as long as WinEQ is open with EQPN integration, the EQPN patcher will be unable to patch and just hang in a loop.

So unless people turn OFF EQPN integration within WinEQ, EQPN will never be able to patch itself with WinEQ running in the tray.

A minor nuisence at the moment, not quite sure how you want to approach a "Fix" for it.

-Venthos

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:47 am

Ahhh, that does explain it. Any time both WinEQ.exe and EQPlayNice.exe are both running, one of the two will not be able to patch Lavish.dll and will enter a patching loop. It's not necessarily that it's integrating, just that whichever ended up loading Lavish.dll first is going to have the file locked until both programs are closed. I will come up with something this week. At least it's only when Lavish.dll is patched, so it's not very common that you'll end up with this loop.

Venthos
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Venthos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:49 am

Well, would that make sense when EQPN and WinEQ are in different directories for me?

why would EQPN pull lavish.dll from another directory randomly?

i.e. C:\EQ Play Nice\lavish.dll
C:\Win EQ\lavish.dll

That's how it's setup on my machine. Why would ONE program lock both dll files?

-Venthos

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:38 pm

I believe Windows keeps using the DLL that's loaded, so if WinEQ loaded it first, EQPlayNice has a lock on WinEQ's copy. One program doesn't lock both