WinEQ on Windows 10 and DX11

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

tecteacher
Non-Subscriber

WinEQ on Windows 10 and DX11

Post by tecteacher » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:40 am

Fresh install of windows 10. DirectX is installed, but when I try to run WinEQ it tells me I need to update DirectX. There IS no update. I suspected that I needed DX9c, but can not install that on Win10. Any suggestions?

tecteacher
Non-Subscriber

Answer

Post by tecteacher » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:08 am

I had to download the 2010 SDK and it is working now.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:46 am

Glad you found something that includes what was required. Let me clear this up :)

Microsoft has redirected the old DXWEBSETUP download link (as built into WinEQ 2 when it warns you and you click "OK") to go to a Windows 10 page.

The new link to DXWEBSETUP, which is still the correct thing to install, is: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... c4c04=True

DirectX 9.0c is installed with Windows 10. What is not installed is the optional supplements to DirectX which are used by many games. To get these requires a download on any version of Windows.

This is actually no different than it was when Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 came out, except that this time they changed the URL.

Eelan
Non-Subscriber

Post by Eelan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm

This is so common it should probably be added to the WinEQ2 help file.

faulteroy
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by faulteroy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Eelan wrote:This is so common it should probably be added to the WinEQ2 help file.
The program should be updated to direct users either to a page on Lavish's site with instructions, or the correct URL on Microsoft's end.

flees
Non-Subscriber

same issue

Post by flees » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Same issue myself with 2.0. Brand new windows 10 and the url it sends me to was incorrect. Thanks for the link.

gblooder
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by gblooder » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks for this post, I had the exact same problem - glad this was towards the top...maybe should sticky it? :)

Kelzar
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Kelzar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Hey guys, I had this same problem and using the link you provided caused something strange.

- I had a directx 12 version on a windows 10 laptop.
- Opening normal EQ worked
- Trying open EQ trought EQ Play Nice didnt work as it was asking for a "newer" direct X
- After download the direct X files from the link above, EQ Play nice started to run but since that when open any of both EQ (Normal one or EQ from EQPlay nice setup) I go to a black screen and nothing happens never more.

Any idea of what problem could be happening there??

Thanks a lot.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm

- I had a directx 12 version on a windows 10 laptop.
- Trying open EQ trought EQ Play Nice didnt work as it was asking for a "newer" direct X
I re-explain this a lot, so don't feel bad (I blame Microsoft for it being confusing).

Windows 10 comes with DirectX 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. Windows 8.1 came with 8, 9, 10, and 11. Windows 7 came with 8 9 and 10. Each version of DirectX is a completely different API, incompatible with each of the others. DirectX 9 is completely different from 10 and 11 which are also drastically different from 12.

WinEQ 2 supports DirectX 8 and 9. It will never support 10, 11, or 12, and that probably will never matter -- EverQuest uses only DirectX 9, so as far as playing EverQuest, the fact that you have DirectX 10, 11 and 12 doesn't really matter. Unless DBG for some reason decides to re-design EQ1's graphics engine, it will very likely remain using DirectX 9 forever.

Inner Space (and ISBoxer) supports 8, 9, 10 and 11, and will likely support 12 as well when the time comes (none of these MMOs support DirectX 12 at this time).

As far as the DXWEBSETUP download, this includes supplemental libraries (DLLs) which many games and programs use, and this is also installed by Steam automatically in many cases as well (so many people don't have this question, because they already have it installed automatically for them). WinEQ 2 and Inner Space both use it for rendering text.

No, I do not know any reason why you should get a black screen after installing this. I would suggest updating video drivers especially, and also any other software that might be interacting with the game.

Kelzar
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Kelzar » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks a lot for the answer Lax, you are the boss.

I will try to discover what is happening with it. I guess its something related with to the laptop GPU drivers, so I will have to do some investigation there.

Will come back later to here once I get more information.

Thanks again to Lax and all the community.

/bow

Kelzar
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Kelzar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Finally solved the problem.

When trying to put the game on Full Screen Emulated, it would go black screen.

Other modes would work.

But I discovered it was because it was trying to force the game into a resolution not allowed by my laptop, which can use like 1366xsomething.

After swao it to the native laptop reso it started to work.

Thanks for the support guys :)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:10 am

Oh, good! I am glad you got it taken care of :)