Core affinity

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Ranak

Core affinity

Post by Ranak » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:17 am

Hello,

I am returning to Everquest after an approximate 8 year hiatus. I built a new PC and I am getting the "dual core" problem. I have tried several fixes that I have come across, and I feel like I've read every thread on sony, here and anywhere LoL.

My PC runs:

An 8 core AMD FX-8350 processor on an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX motherboard.

An EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 Ti Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card

Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3-1866 (PC3-14900)

I downloaded the game, patched it, and went to login. Everything loaded fine up to the character selection screen. Once I get to the character selection screen everything starts going downhill. It appears that my mouse is jumping all over, none of the buttons work, and the only way to get into EQ is to press enter. I can't select anything else. Once I get in everything is in hyper speed, and again, no buttons can be pressed. Which makes playing, obviously, impossible.

I have tried opening the launcher and setting the core affinity to a single core. I have tried setting it to each individual core, actually. I have upped the performance to the best. I then downloaded WinEQ from the site as it sets the affinity per another thread on these boards. However, after loading up I still get the same thing. I am lastly trying the "runfirst" program to see if that will work, but I figured I'd run past these boards first. I know there are some very knowledgeable people that might be able to give me a tip or two. At the very least tell me it's not going to work and to move on LoL.

I will post the WinEQ.log or SysInfo.txt but I really don't think this is a problem with WinEQ but I figured this would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 am

Opening up the windows Task Manager and setting the CPU Affinity for eqgame.exe, with or without WinEQ, is enough to prove whether or not the issue is the "dual core issue". Also, I believe that issue is fixed in the current version of EQ, so unless you're playing an old version it should not be the case.

If this is a new install of Windows it might be worth your time to perform all Windows Updates and especially driver updates for your hardware.

Ranak

Post by Ranak » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:51 am

The weird thing was is after I set the core affinity, task manager shows that it was still jumping. I am not sure if it just didn't set it appropriately.

On another note, yes this is a fresh install (of both windows and EQ), but I also thought that I had finished all of the updates (for both windows and EQ).With EQ I downloaded it straight from Sony the first time, then deleted it and downloaded it through Steam, then deleted it and downloaded it through Sony again.

I didn't find any new drivers as of last night, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I'll go through and check it again to make sure that I am up to date. Thanks a bunch Lax.