Mouse Positioning when switching EQ1 windows

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

cbdougla
GamingTools Subscriber

Mouse Positioning when switching EQ1 windows

Post by cbdougla » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:58 pm

I've noticed something about WinEQ2 that I think might work better (at least for me) if it were changed.

Currently, it seems that the mouse pointer position in an EQ window that is in the background is affected by the foreground window's mouse motion.

Namely, when I switch to the other EQ window, more often than not, the mouse pointer is at the border of the window.

This normally wouldn't be an issue I suppose but I typically use the mouse for almost all movement and what happens is that when I press the right mouse button, I almost always get a menu for one of the chat/UI boxes I have in that position and it severly interferes with my navigation sometimes.

Would it be possible for the background window to remember the previous mouse pointer coordinates? Or, can you suggest something I might do to avoid this without seriously changing my play style?

Thanks.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:03 am

Actually what it is, when you switch to the new window the current mouse location is kept. I can make this behavior optional in the next WinEQ update.

cbdougla
GamingTools Subscriber

details

Post by cbdougla » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:34 am

While I was writing it, I thought that message was pretty clear. In reading it again, I realized it really wasn't. Hehe. Let me try to be as details as possible....

When I 2 box, I have 2 windows EQ1 and EQ2.

Say EQ1 is currently active with the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen. I press the switch hotkey and swiitch to EQ2 for a moment to do something which requires moving around the mouse pointer for whatever reason. When I come back to EQ1, the mouse pointer is no longer in the middle of the screen but usually at the extreme edge of the window.

My tendancy is to use the right mouse button almost exclusively for movement. Often, I will hold the right mouse button down and use the A and D keys to strayfe.

What happens is that with the mouse pointer now sitting on the extreme edge of the window, the mouse is almost always hovering over one of my EQ UI objects. Pressing the right mouse button then immediately brings up a context menu for that window instead of allowing me to move around and target.

I would very much appreciate an option to make the behavior different. It would help tremendously.

Thanks for the hard work.

-C

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:39 am

I understood what you're saying, and I imagine if you have the two windows visible and switch via hotkeys without manually releasing the mouse, the pointer would be placed at the closest point to where the mouse was on the other window. I've been meaning to update WinEQ 2.0 to fix a few issues, but havent gotten around to it. I'll do it right now.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:59 am

I changed it so that the behavior is more friendly. If you switch to an EQ session, and your mouse cursor is positioned above that window, the mouse will automatically use its actual position. However, if your mouse is NOT positioned above that window, the mouse will retain the position it was in while last captured by EQ. Also, if the window is scaled to a different resolution than the game itself is in, the mouse positioning will always keep the last EQ mouse position. 2.06 coming in a few minutes.

cbdougla
GamingTools Subscriber

Woo HOO!

Post by cbdougla » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:16 pm

Merry Christmas to me!!

Thanks Lax.

Have a great holiday!