Hmm, features question..

WinEQ 1.x Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

spectyr16
Non-Subscriber

Hmm, features question..

Post by spectyr16 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:04 pm

Having been away from the game and such for a while, I never really looked at this. However, since I'm playing now I looked into getting the new version of WinEQ...

What I noticed is, with the change in WinEQ ownership you lose features for the free version? I just don't understand why.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:32 am

Not really a change in ownership, just a new company created.

Yes, early WinEQ beta was open and free. Yes, after that, it was no longer free.

World of Warcraft beta is free, but come release it will no longer be free. I'm not going to have hard feelings toward Blizzard for that, so I'm not entirely sure why some people have hard feelings toward me for WinEQ.

When Lavish Software began, most of my users who were old enough to have responsibilities and jobs, whether they ended up subscribing or not, sent me emails/pms/etc of support. People who complained tended to be kids on their parents dollars (and have never had a job) who cannot pay for software but liked it when the beta was free, or people who cant otherwise afford to pay for software.

You can't please everyone, and it's not my aim to. I have free versions of the software because I, too, enjoy a lot of free software. I have pay versions of the software because I, too, must make a living and I enjoy what I do.

spectyr16
Non-Subscriber

Post by spectyr16 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:01 am

I just think it's ... eh ... because I got addicted to being able to resize my windows dynamically. Now my old version of wineq won't work, and the new version (aside from no resizing) doesn't work because it only shows 3/4ths of the everquest screen.

spectyr16
Non-Subscriber

Post by spectyr16 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:09 am

Because it's late here, and I noticed what I said didn't really make sense...

The truth of the matter is, I fall into one of your latter categories. However, I was just curious as to why my favorite feature was a subscriber only feature.

It's your work, your program, your time. No one has any right to tell you it should be something you didn't make it, or they shouldn't have to pay for it. You do what you want with it, to state the obvious.

The beta started giving me an eqgame.exe error about a week after I came back from my haiatus, was a little disgruntled when I couldn't size my windows or go full screen anymore, but I hate normal EQ client.