Want my money?

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

Tron
GamingTools Subscriber

Want my money?

Post by Tron » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:49 pm

I will likely subscribe once I see a cut and dry "what you get if you pay", and a "what you get if you don't pay" chart of some sort. Or see some nitty gritty details.

I like the idea of Fury, and Inner Space's vague description sounds neat, especially if they're included in my already paid for subscription. You can separate my money from me, but Lax or someone in the know is going to have to put in a little more effort. I like the framerate limiter in EQPN a lot, I NEED the window switching functionality of WinEQ.

I regularly play 6 accounts, always playing at least 2 chars at a time, often 5 or more (lots of pc's around me). If it doesn't meet my needs, I won't be buying it. I am also not willing to pay 36 dollars per year, per account I plan on using it with. When reading the description of MMOTools, in regards to how many accounts I have, it seemed to indicate i am charged per EQ account I use with MMOTools. Sorry if I read that wrong, but I won't spend $200+ more per year on MMOTools, since I should be lobbying Sony to produce these things in . I pay them almost 1000 a year as it is.

If I only have to buy one subscription for my 6 accounts, well then that's a lot more reasonable.

My last concern is about spyware (term loosely used here). Obviously these apps are making contact to some kind of registration server. I am very picky about what information I make available, especially demographic information. I want to know what is sent and when. If my client has to send out or receive a keep-alive packet in order to keep running and not do silly crap like exiting, or some such limited nonsense... Well, i want to know now, and not after I've spent my money on something that will just piss me off if I lock down certain parts of my firewall or change external IP's.

You write what appears to be good software. I bought Zuggsoft's ZMud client, and he's still developing it even today (yes it has registration server stuff, but it has always worked well). Great program. I hope I can say the same about yours 5 years from now.

Zack

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:02 pm

Very reasonable. MMOTools product page says this
Single accounts may be shared by users at the same physical location (we are aware that some users have special cases. You may contact us to ask about your situation). The license server will be aware of multiple IP usage, and unreasonable sharers will be warned and/or banned with no refund. We will not ban you without first contacting you, so long as your account is not being used very unreasonably.
I think that is pretty well stated, but is not stated the same way in the announcement. Your 1 Lavish account can be used for all 6 EQ accounts.

Inner Space will be part of a different product set, in its own actually. It is MacroQuest 2's successor, and since most honest players do not want to be associated with that, it will not be a part of the MMOTools line. It attracts a much different crowd :)

I will post a distinct privacy policy and description of the information that gets sent from your computer. EQPlayNice and WinEQ connect to our server each time they start up. They send your username from these forums, and a hashed password (the password is hashed twice, such that it is not shown the same in any two logins). The server then gives you a session ID, which the Lavish license program stores for later connections instead of re-authenticating. The session expires in 15 minutes. Anyway, then your computer will connect to us 1 to 2 more times immediately, and request information from our server. The data sent from your computer at this point consists of a command and the session ID, as well as the version of the software you're running so the server can send you the right data. That's it.

We don't collect any personal information, in fact all you need to sign up is your email address and a username. Your email address is not used for mass mailing nor will it be transfered to others in anyway without your permission. The server does recognize your IP address in order to keep your session information as well as assure us that you are not sharing your account with 500 other people.

Tron
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Tron » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:26 am

Thanks for the fast reply.

I anticipate purchasing the software, so I initiated the transfer into my Paypal account. Hopefully the transfer completes before the weekend.

The reason I say anticipate, is that WinEQ isn't working for me. I log into eq, but the instant I would normally get the character select screen, Everquest crashes.

-----
Ok scratch that, I figured out the problem. I turned off EQPlayNice integration in the global options of WinEQ, exited EQPN 1.6 too, and I can load normally now. Must be the bug in EQPN you said you were aware of, that affects some users.

Anyway, I need the framerate limiter feature badly, but bugs happen, so I'm sold. I will make payment for a years subscription when the funds clear into my Paypal account. Good software is definitely worth purchasing, and I think the price is quite reasonable. Don't listen to the complainers.

Thanks for your help.

Zack

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:30 am

Thank you, you're very reasonable as I mentioned and I enjoy your conversation much more than ... well.. how shall I put it... some other people :)

Grab EQPlayNice 1.07 and your issues with that should be solved, you can even let it integrate however you want.