Nvidia kernel failure with innerspace and eq1

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Dodga
GamingTools Subscriber

Nvidia kernel failure with innerspace and eq1

Post by Dodga » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:29 am

with innerspace and playing eq 1i experience random nvidia kernel failures. The Nvidia Kernel resets most of the time and it works again for a while. But sometimes the complete system freeze

Any idea what could be wrong?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:30 am

If the system freezes, it's a driver or hardware issue. I would say the same for nvidia kernel failures, it's basically the same thing except recoverable.

Dodga
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Dodga » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:21 am

but it doesnt do the same thing if i use wineq2

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:48 am

WinEQ 2 Pro loads EQPlayNice with Rendering Limiting enabled by default. This reduces the strain on your video card and CPU, and therefore also the heat produced. Without it, you may be producing more heat than your video card or CPU heastsink+fan can handle (in many cases this is caused by age and the collection of dust). If your video card is overheating, some of the symptoms might include kernel failures, system freezes and reboots, graphical artifacts (strange/random designs popping up on the screen that should not be there), etc. That's a hardware problem.

You can try mitigating it by running WinEQ 2 Pro as Administrator, while launching the game itself through Inner Space or ISBoxer. This will give you the same EQPlayNice settings as you had with WinEQ 2. However, you would need to disable the FPS limit in ISBoxer (per Slot in your Character Set) or in EQPlayNice (FPS limiting is not the same as Rendering Limiting, both of these settings are under the EQPlayNice preferences in WinEQ 2). If both FPS limiters are enabled, the game will run slower than you are expecting.