Caps lock switching in game with unknown keystroke.

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Kelly71
Non-Subscriber

Caps lock switching in game with unknown keystroke.

Post by Kelly71 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 am

Lax,

Somehow while im in VG some keystroke i do will switch my caps lock backwards. All letters i can switch by holding down shift but thinkgs like numbers and /']= are all upper case. I think it something to do with a combination that has the I key in it. This happens to me almost daily and its only in game. Im sure its related to my crappy typing skills. Is there a built in key function that im doing by accident or am I a freak of nature here.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon May 04, 2009 11:00 am

Caps lock doesn't affect /'= on US keyboards. Perhaps you're getting a SHIFT key stuck?

Kelly71
Non-Subscriber

Post by Kelly71 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 am

its not a key stuck. when it screws up the caps lock light is off but everything is in caps. If i hit the caps lock and the light is on then im in lower case again. Now if I alt tab out and open a txt or word doc It functions as it should. I can alt tab back and forth and in game it will be fooked up still.

I have changed keyboards, even upgraded my OS and i still have had this ongoing issue for months. It just seems to be getting worse lately.

Now once in a while if I alt tab in and out it will fix the problem. Also if i just start pushing all the Keys around the I key while i hold down alt, or shift, or ctrl then i will fix it. This is not always the case though.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon May 04, 2009 3:16 pm

Sounds weird, but Inner Space uses the global Caps Lock state (and num lock and scroll lock, for that matter), it hasn't used its own Caps Lock state in several months. What game are you playing? I assume this is in the game itself and not in an IS console window (or other Inner Space GUI window) in the game? If it's in the game I still have to say that, at least on a US keyboard, caps lock being on does NOT affect keys like ;'[]\ or even 1234567890-=. It has to be left or right shift if those are being affected.

Kelly71
Non-Subscriber

Post by Kelly71 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Im just playing VG

Digitalxero
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Digitalxero » Mon May 04, 2009 6:11 pm

Sounds like the shift key is getting stuck in an on state in the game to me, you should be able to clear it by pressing and releasing both the left and right shift keys. As for why it is getting stuck, I would hazard a guess that you are using shift in a key combo that switches focus, so it gets stuck in an on state in the window you left.